• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Birmingham

Tony Carter

Hi Guys,

I wonder if anyone can point me in the driection of fisheries/tackle shops in the area.

I have just moved and Im looking ideally for somewhere picturesque with the chance of the odd fish in these areas away from any chavs/gypos and the usual!

I know of BAA but its a bit of a minefield choosing where to fish to be honest!

Im also looking to do a bit of carp/catfish trips so any info/pointers would be very welcome.

Tony

Thank very much for the info very useful.

Some lovely looking waters Steve I will be in touch.

Neil atm im near Kings Norton planning to move to Stratford in September.

Almost too much water to choose from in these parts overall i just want some where picturesque and nice to relax, i have a month off in between jobs so I want to make the most of it :)

Tony

Last edited:
Tony, I'm not a member, but I'm told that on some of the BAA stretches on the middle Severn, if you are prepared to walk to the far end, away from the carpark, you'll often get the place to yourself. BAA members are mostly quite lazy!

have a look at the stratford book some very good stretches and they have the Hampton Lucy brook and it will be very rare to see anyone on there waters as we went a few times and they were always empty its a bit like the venues in the town and the stannels which you can park your car next to your spot get busy but the ones with a walk well there empty

Stratford Angling Association, Mr Dave Evason Phone: 01564 793260

32 for the year coupled with a baa at the same price you have the best that the area really offers on the rivers all for 64 which is just over a pound a week

Sean

Last edited:
CHeers guys really helpful.

Having looked around I really fancy the Teme reminds me of the Dorset Stour a bit which i miss...and the Loddon which i dont miss :)

CHeers guys really helpful.

Having looked around I really fancy the Teme reminds me of the Dorset Stour a bit which i miss...and the Loddon which i dont miss :)
If you want piece and quiet, secure parking and lots of Barbel the BS Bransford water may be for you.

If you want piece and quiet, secure parking and lots of Barbel the BS Bransford water may be for you.

Not sure but BAA recently bought some Teme at Bransford which was opening on the BAA card on 16th June.. not sure if its the same stretch as you're on about?

Tony, I'm not a member, but I'm told that on some of the BAA stretches on the middle Severn, if you are prepared to walk to the far end, away from the carpark, you'll often get the place to yourself. BAA members are mostly quite lazy!

Think they're getting lazier... on Saturday at Eardiston (first weekend of season) at the nearest stretch to the car park (although I wasn't fishing the BAA stretch myself at the time) I saw about 6 anglers in all all day... and 5 cars parked on arrival at 7am... and 4 parked when I left at 4pm...

Not sure but BAA recently bought some Teme at Bransford which was opening on the BAA card on 16th June.. not sure if its the same stretch as you're on about?
No. The Barbel Society water at Bransford is below this on the other bank opposite the Bransford Angling stretch.
The parking for the BAA bit is anything but secure (it's a lay-by)! A couple of nice swims tho'.

There is "on site" security in the lay by.....a burger van is usually there on most days !
I've parked there quite a bit in the past to fish the WSP stretch above Bransford bridge. I haven't personally had a problem. But I do know a couple of members had their cars broken into there in the past, so be careful. The Burger van is usually only open on weekdays and closes just after lunch, so you are at risk in the evening and on Sundays.
You can try parking up on the Fox pub car park and having a drink or a meal in the pub, this is a much safer option if fishing this bit.
It's one of the most poached part of the river so it would be good if it actually got baliffed now the BAA have taken it on. I would say it is a decent place early in the season as a lot of fish spawn here, later in the season most of the Barbel have moved up or down the river. Still always nice to see a new water on the BAA card, with all the problems of BAA waters it is still an absolute bargain and I have always had a BAA card even though I rarely fish on any of their Teme stretches.

Thank you for the replies everyone, I think for the time being I will get a BAA card as its so cheap and just have a dabble there mybe on the Teme and the Severn at Hampton Loade.

There is "on site" security in the lay by.....a burger van is usually there on most days !

What I do - was warned about the car parking at Eardington (Severn BAA) - is to leave the rear/boot cover off (I've an estate) so they can see nowt of interest in there and also the glove box open for same reason... and if they'd have pinched the car on Sat. they'd have probably done me a favour as I've had warning lights appear and it went in for a garage check yesterday... leading up to a £1151.88 bill to pay next week when it goes to be fixed! :(

Was also told about Bransford by a mate who's local that the BAA stretch is not that good and as it's easy to access it attracts the 'idiots'.... which is what he calls me at times... so... there you go :)

Tony,

If you're interested in the middle Severn then you might want to consider a Bridgnorth and District card. It's a little further as the water is above Bridgnorth but it's a lovely, long stretch (from Cantern Brook/High Rock upstream to the Brook at Hifnal/Wrens Nest, which is about 4miles) and I doubt a lot of the swims are ever fished. You really can lose yourself in some areas there if you want to and not see another soul all day. I believe you can drive along the old railway track now too so pretty good access as well, although you might want to check that as my knowledge of that is old.

Regards
Paul

Back