• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Birds.(feathered only please)

Chris Guy

As far as I can see there's no thread devoted to birds in here so I for one would be interested in anything interesting being seen, whilst out for a dangle or just generally.
Well to kick it off I've noted some little egrets in and around Arlesey over the last few weeks. They seem to like the streams and small rivers around here.
Also I waved goodbye just ten days ago to the last swallows I'll see for the next six months. They took no notice of my kind gesture.
Already seen a few flocks of fieldlfares in around the larger hedgerows now.

I saw a sparrowhawk getting a taste of its own medicine above the Yorkshire Ouse this afternoon, four crows chasing it around for ages until it finally buggered off. Well hard these Yorkie crows!

I saw a Hobby last monday on the Wasing estate , it sort of made up for blanking !

Didn't get a pic , but this is what i saw !

Attachments

• index.jpg
    index.jpg
    2.1 KB · Views: 252
Last edited:
Barn owl on the Loddon. Also long tailed tits and a green woodpecker. Makes up for a lack of barbel.

Steve

A couple of years ago I used to go up to the back meadows at Sandy, just to watch the barn owls quartering the meadows, not blinking at the passing public.
It would pass within 10 metres, hovering and stooping as it went. Beautiful.

Four or five Goosanders on the upper Severn recently. Also a field full of Oystercatchers (many hundreds) in the Glens of Antrim last weekend.:)

Back