• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

biggest severn barbel?

well lads , thats the problem with fishing some people keep quite, others dont and if i had to take photos of the prize fish, i try and take the photo in away that it didnt show any features if possible,

I still think there is a big feak of a barbel in there. But I think a lot as got to do with water temps on the river severn as some times there is a lot of cold water thats get in to the river .

I thought we had debunked that theory a few years ago, My brother in law works for Severn Trent and was for a while responsible for the compensation releases from the dam, I have taken water temps at Newtown before and after the release and seen no measurable difference in the temps at all.
In fact very often the dam water is warmer than the river water, particularly in the winter.
Another often quoted but wrong observation is the compensation water is de-oxygenated, if you ever witnessed the water coming out of the sluices you would know that was not true it comes out with the roar of a dozen jets taking off and is a boiling froth of spray and spume, the venturi wind it creates inside the discharge chamber will blow your hat off if you don't hold it on.

well lads , thats the problem with fishing some people keep quite, others dont and if i had to take photos of the prize fish, i try and take the photo in away that it didnt show any features if possible,

In the case in question I don't think it was possible to stay incognito, if I am right there is a camp site nearby and also perhaps, the capture may not have had the full licence requirements :rolleyes: Which would probably explain why some records never get published, or maybe the tackle used would not stand such scrutiny the comics would apply.

Indeed it may well have come from a popular stretch on the lower. But it could equally have come from a quiet spot on the middle with those either side aquainted with dad and son.

Indeed it may well have come from a popular stretch on the lower. But it could equally have come from a quiet spot on the middle with those either side aquainted with dad and son.

I tell you what Andy I would willing to bet it did not come from the Middle, if it did I will say that this fish is a Severn wonder :)
But then of course you have to decide where you think the Lower is and where the Middle Severn is?

I Doubt there are more than a handfull of really big Severn barbel. However I will keep trying to find em. However I have noticed that the av double seems to be getting bigger.
There are a lot of mid elevens in the lower: maybe one or two may grow on in the next few years.

Cheers Paul

Last edited:
Hi Neil, I do agree with you, and you would have won the bet. If one were to come out that size in the 'traditional' middle I would be very surprised indeed.

Purely answering the question, I consider the lower to start around the Teme confluence area as its an easy geographical point, but that's just my view and others may of course feel differently.

Back