• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

biggest severn barbel?

Andrew Elliot

what do you guys think is the biggest barbel caught(unofficialy/not claimed) my mate said he saw a 17 come out below diglis couple of years ago weighted infront of him, and plus miles of barley fished lower severn i beleive theres got to be some uncaught monsters out there 17-18lbers?
would love to hear would love to hear about this.

The River is not really suited to hold a huge Barbel of 20lb, but you never know, that's the mystery of the Lower, I did see once a big barbel that certainly could have tipped the scales at around the 17/18 lb mark or even more, however it was dead and floated past me at Severn Stoke:(

jsut seems logical if 15years ago there was a 16 caught there must be a few bigger now especially with more hnv bait going in,i think its a matter of time before someones has one and it appears in the press.

jsut seems logical if 15years ago there was a 16 caught there must be a few bigger now especially with more hnv bait going in,i think its a matter of time before someones has one and it appears in the press.

Thing is, we were saying exactly the same 10 years ago, and other than a few dodgy photos of 'big fish', there has been nothing close to 20lbs.

We live and dream tho.....

Steve

Must admit I'm slightly sceptical, think we'd have seen a few come out at 16/17 if there were any bigger ones in there. But you never know, the lower certainly does get as much attention barbel wise as say the lower Trent.

Witnessed a 17.08 the season before last to a young lad on his second outing with his dad. Not sure who was most pleased, it was an awesome specimen and a pleasure to be there to see it al

The River is not really suited to hold a huge Barbel of 20lb, :(

What are you actually basing that on? In my experience the lower Severn is a slow deep canal where the residents don't have to work too hard for a meal so in theory they could grow to enormous sizes. It has also been postulated that Severn barbel are not genetic capable of such growth but that myth is debunked by the simple fact that the Adams Mill fish were the remainder of a stocking from the Severn.
If anything has held back the growth of Severn barbel in the past it is probably the sheer numbers of bream which are resident, however, in recent years those numbers have been slashed, first by the floods of a few years ago which left some of the fields around Worcester paved with them and second by the number of predators, especially the zander, which are keeping the numbers to a healthy but sustainable level. I have a feeling that the Severn is due to throw up a decent fish, especially if a sustained effort and plenty of bait is put in by a group of anglers over a fairly short stretch of river.

At least I live in hope....

................................... I have a feeling that the Severn is due to throw up a decent fish, especially if a sustained effort and plenty of bait is put in by a group of anglers over a fairly short stretch of river.

Agreed Ade but, I think the anglers will have to go to the fish, and not expect the fish to come to them. IMO until efforts are made to fish more than just the regular haunts its unlikely to happen too soon. Unless you know the location of a fish thats already knocking on the records door ;)

BTW isn't the 7rn record 16.05 :D:D:rolleyes:

Last edited:
I still think there is a big feak of a barbel in there. But I think a lot as got to do with water temps on the river severn as some times there is a lot of cold water thats get in to the river .

Wasn't my fish and have never had one anywhere near that size. Was merely stating what was witnessed in response to a post about large Severn barbel that's all. Not interested if others believe it or not. That's up to them.

Probably because if someone did publicise a fish of that size from a lightly fished stretch of the lower it would be the last time the stretch remained lightly fished for some time!

Exactly - Which is why I always tell everyone I catch my big fish at Severn Stoke

Doh :eek:

They were there purely for the pleasure of fishing as were those in the swim either side and there was no additional benefit to be gained above seeing it and safely returning it. They have their photos and the memory of a fantastic fish and experience of (probably) a lifetime. Life isnt always about chasing the biggest, best, fastest etc.

They were there purely for the pleasure of fishing as were those in the swim either side and there was no additional benefit to be gained above seeing it and safely returning it. They have their photos and the memory of a fantastic fish and experience of (probably) a lifetime. Life isnt always about chasing the biggest, best, fastest etc.

Anglers either side - it was from a popular stretch then? :rolleyes:

Back