• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Big roach

To Quote:

"I’ve been baiting the water every other day for the past two weeks, spodding out a couple of kilos of Sonubaits hemp plus around a pint of red maggots at dusk in the hope that the tuffties would leave it alone and a few fish may just turn up."

This is the same man that was recently slagging off another "normal" angler for baiting a few swims on the Loddon...........:mad

Quote: "Duncan, who was fishing in open water and not close to any bars or features, was using what he calls the standard ‘Lynch Hill roach rig’, his standard set-up when fishing for big roach."

Lynch Hill + Roach = Willow Lake! Easy! :)

Looks like a roach/ rudd hybrid to me anyway! ha ha!

I think there's a big difference between baiting a large lake with a couple of kilos of hemp and putting kilos of pellets in a small river like the Loddon. The pellets could kill sports for days whereas in all likelyhood the ducks will have eaten half his bait on the lake.

Rich,

No one was putting pellets in the Loddon, the chap in question baited half a dozen swims with half a dozen boilies in each.

I'm sure it will all come out in the press soon enough, when he's caught everything he wants from the place :D
Willow's not exactly a secret anymore anyway so if it was from there then whats all the fuss about?? Great fish though :eek:

Stu and Nick there are plenty of other fisheries within a short distance of Lynch hill that have produced equally and bigger:eek: sized fish;).

Maybe the guy has learnt not to make it common knowledge, as every wanna be specimen angler who is either too inept or just plain lazy to find their own fish:rolleyes::rolleyes:. Rather just trying to recatch the same old fish endlessly!!

For any such angler here are two alternatives worth giving a bash. Barnes lakes at Standlake produced a 3lb 14oz to a fly angler last summer and Manor lake Kirtlington had a 3lb 10oz and 3lb 6oz bag fall to a carp angler using 15mm Source boilies:eek:.

I say good on him for keeping quiet, seems he's wrong for telling all and wrong for staying tight lipped:confused:.

Looks like a roach/ rudd hybrid to me anyway! ha ha![/QUOTE]

Got to agree, it doesn't look like a true roach to me either. Big, impressive fish though all the same!

Trevor

Maybe the guy has learnt not to make it common knowledge, as every wanna be specimen angler who is either too inept or just plain lazy to find their own fish:rolleyes::rolleyes:. Rather just trying to recatch the same old fish endlessly!!

Colin, I think the original post in this thread was referring to some 'history' Mr Charman has on a certain stretch of the Loddon, so it isn't just a case of staying tight-lipped about a certain venue on this occasion. :rolleyes:

Besides, I would happily put a lot of money on it being Lynch Hill (not sure if that makes him lazy or inept for catching the same old fish though) :)

Interesting about Manor Lake, although of course I would never dream of fishing there now that you've mentioned it... I would hate to be described as a) inept b) a specimen angler wannabe or c) lazy!!! :eek: I will stick to my to pioneering ways on my large, mysterious gravel pit this spring/ summer! ;)

Dont get me wrong I definitely think he's right to keep it to himself, just I seem to remember him writing in a couple of articles about a 'top secret' lake in Hampshire (I think?) that he was fishing for it's roach and that he was saying he wanted to keep secret, then a few articles later out comes the name of the venue when he'd moved on....

Anyway good on him for a huge fish hybrid or not, its Paddys Day today so I'm off for some lubrication :D

Stu, I know about the history regards the Loddon (Stanford End), in fact I won't be joining Farnhan AS and part of the reason its got to be said is because of the 'over popularity' of that stretch due in main to his articles.
As Nick stated he may go on to name the venue once his rewards have been reaped, that's to be seen.

All joking aside I was not suggestinng that being given info via other angler whether it be from a book, magazine or web site is somehow wrong but there are many that just flit from one 'in water' to another purely and solely after hearing / reading reports of great fishing and to those sad soles I say........
Find your own bloody fish as they're either inept and therefore need to learn how to find fish, cos when all said and done that's half the battle.
Location is when all said and done the single most important thing leading to catching any fish.
Or lazy, well plenty are that, many reasons are chucked about, lack of time etc etc but clearly its laziness and a lack of desire to achieve their 'own results'!!

I am not saying look at a map and then just go onto explore the chosen water all on your own, just some anglers need to learn too do a bit more for themselves.

I agree Colin. I think a lot of the problem is that youngsters coming into the sport are often expect the type of instant success they read about in the angling press, especially in carp fishing where the commercials/ circuit waters can virtually guarantee you a '20' the first time you go fishing!! Consequently, young people don't end up serving their 'fishing apprenticeships' on local rivers and fail to learn important watercraft skills.

Anyway, this is way off topic and has undoubtedly been covered at length elsewhere! :)

Duncans roach did conjure up a feast of is it or isn't it and I find the comments on here quite amusing. Personally I congratulate him on a fine capture in a winter that has been difficult to say the least.
I don't know where the fish was caught although I suspect a southern commercial that all can fish, shock, horror! What I do know is that it wasn't Lynch Hill.
As for the preconception about Lynch being easy I think you should perhaps give it a go and find out for yourselves. There are some extremely good anglers on there who bivvy up all winter in six inches of mud trying to outwit one of the very elusive roach that live beneath the waves and as march approaches they are still awaiting that one bite that could mean success or failure.
Any roach from Lynch is well earned and a prize hard won and well done to anyone who catches one.

Terry,

Agree completely that Duncan should be congratulated. Irrespective of where his fish come from (in the plural), they are all excellent fish and heard earned I'm sure.

As for trying Lynch Hill, I would love to, but sadly can't justify stumping up that amount of cash. However, as Colin mentioned above, there are plenty of other waters that hold a similar stamp of fish that are less well known about/ less publicised, so there is no excuse for not putting in the time and effort to find them.

For another bit of good fishing by Mr Charman have a look at this:

http://www.skysports.com/video/inline/0,26691,13019_6018431,00.html

Am going to try for a 2lb+ Rudd myself over the next couple of months.

Catching big stillwater roach

Chaps , imagine youve found a small farm pond that is about an acre in size. Its hardly fished and has a good stock of average roach between 4oz - 12oz with fish reputedly bigger. It also contains a equal stock of perch with a few carp that go to mid teen doubles.

Average depth is 4-5 feet occasional cover with a inlet and sluice overflow.

The baliff confirms that the pond holds roach to over 2 pounds in weight, youve no reason to disbelieve him.

Your intention is to target the bigger roach in the pond without being concerned with the perch/ carp.

I bow to all your better knowledge, advice is required.......... or shall I just fish breadflake. !!

Andy

All of my bigger roach have fallen to elips pellets whilst barbel fishing, so i dont think i'm best placed to comment. :D

Andy,

Ive had some good roach and silver bream on lobs whilst perching and some of my best tench sessions ever have been using lobs. Good all round bait. I think big fish of many species like big baits of some sort, be it a large pellet or 6 inch lob. Got to be worth a go. Mind you a big lump of bread is equally as good for roach and tares and wheat for that matter, have caught me some crackers on the rivers and pits.

Good fun trying.

Paul

Andy,

Haven't seriously fished for roach for years but Tares fished over hemp used to sort the bigger ones out years ago. I aslo find that if I am fishing a water with a large head of roach, catser fished on the drop, i.e. no weights down the line, will take bigger roach.

Back