• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

BIG PERCH in commercials

Nick Hodgkinson

after over thirty years fishing for big carp i now fish only for big bream/roach and perch

the old saying springs to mind 'perch thrive on neglect'

and nothing could be more true than in commercial carp puddles - huge fricking perch well over 4lb and hardly ever caught

the problem is the stupid rules on commercials eg max hook 14 and no livebaits

put on a prawn or a lobworm and even on a half frozen lake you cannot get past starving carp

i have bent, ok, broken the rules and the results are stunning - but the 'noddies' soon get me banned

i truly believe a 7lb+ perch is well on the cards from many of these commercial puddles - they have unlimited food resources and zero angling pressure

one non commercial fishery with huge perch is my local lake - Clumber Park in Notts

huge perch but a National Trust management that is totally anti angling - no fishing this year because of 'covid' wtf?

and before the Clumber 'police' take me to task for mentioning the water that should never be mentioned - screw you

my late father was taking me fishing at Clumber in the late 1960's when 2lb roach were common

and i later fished in the roach halcyon days at Clumber with the likes of Trev Moss/Dave Plummer/Kev Clifford/George Sharman/Pete Evans/Stuart Hearst and me - Hallamshire Specimen Group (not me -i'm Notts - that lot were Yorkshire, lol)

Last edited:
Back