• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

big meat rig

Gary Wagstaff

Thinking of fishing a big piece of meat over the winter .not something i fish a lot on the ribble what would be your choice of gear to make up the rig .
Gaz

Gary, I sometimes use some 1mm shrink tube on the hair for meat although not essential it does help it stay on for longer. I tend to use a grass stem for a stop.
I do fish it straight on the hook if chub are around and i want to catch them but also when fishing very snaggy swims as i am less likely to catch a snag on the retrieve. Hooks are usually size 5 or 6 ESP T6.
I am not sure if i dare go up to a size 2 and half a tin of meat but thats just me lol
Dave

Fantastic way of sorting out the big fish. Generally fish a big piece hair rigged tight to the bend of a T6 raptor with a piece of twig as the hair stop on a strong fluorocarbon hook length. About as simple as it gets.

What hook length material and length do you use david

10lb fluorocarbon for me, knotless knot on a size 4 Owner hook. Longer hooklength 4-6' in daylight and clear water, reducing to around 1' after dark or in coloured water.

Like Dave M, will hook direct if I suspect chub just to prove to myself that they are indeed chub pulls.

1/4 to 1/2 a tin on a size 2. Loop the end of the hooklink and with a needle pull the hooklink up through the meat pulling the hook into the meat pop the looped end onto a quick link and away you go. You can add a blade of grass under the bend for a bit of security if you want but i dont find the need.

Hi Gaz, exactly as Jeremy says above, don't be scared to use a LARGE piece of meat. I,ll use 12 or even 15lb Diawa Hyper Sensor as hooklength material, probably go for the 15lb on the Ribble with the rocks. I,d also start of with a longish hooklength, 5ft or so in daylight, its can easily be shortened as the light drops. Have you stopped passing the razor blades yet? Hope all went well mate. Still waiting for my posh ticket, shouldn't be too long now. ( i hope ) :)

Several slices of meat on a size 1 with the hook point buried. Only when fishing low water will I use a hair and normally then I use pellet or boilie.

Several slices because if one is pulled off or falls off there are the others. With a cube of meat there is always the chance of sitting there with nothing on the hook :eek:

Stephen

Several slices of meat on a size 1 with the hook point buried. Only when fishing low water will I use a hair and normally then I use pellet or boilie.

Several slices because if one is pulled off or falls off there are the others. With a cube of meat there is always the chance of sitting there with nothing on the hook :eek:

Stephen

Now that's a big meat rig!!

Either,anything up to 7, inch square cubes threaded onto a Dacron hooklink with the bottom piece having a number 2 hook inside(used to be called the Kebab rig),and a lead that just holds bottom For a hair rig setup,make the hair long,put a small piece of drinking straw(1 cm) or similar onto the needle,push the needle through the meat, push the straw into the meat and then add the largest 22mm fox pellet stop, wrap the excess hair around the hook to get hook close to meat.

A very apt thread for the conditions we have been having. My small input would be if using a large lead in these conditions keep the hook length over 12" I have found a small hook length combined with large lead can effect a hook hold. Short hook length seems to be able to jar the hook out I have definitely lost less since extending it.
Anyone use fox arma mesh?

No need for Arma Mesh Clive, the idea is to get the little fish pecking away to draw the barbel then when they arrive they`ll rip lumps out until the baits small enough to take.
Every now and again the rod just goes over though as a fish takes the bait in one go. Thats the time to get nervous, they`re normally the big ones!!!!!!!!!!!
Personally I use an arms length of 9lb Snyde, size 2 981 with a half inch piece of rig tubing on the line to push into the meat to stop the cheese wiring. The bait stop is always a piece of match put into a groove cut into the meat. Been using that for 20yrs, never seen any need to change!

I use a long sliding hair with a ethafoam disc under the hook to try and get it to sit upright, a swan shot pinched on the hair loop can also help facilitate this. Have had large numbers of barbel on very large baits with this rig.

spam.jpg

Does anyone still use a piece of spaghetti for a meat or pellet stop?

Stephen

The original logic behind using a section of spaghetti as a stop was that it was very good at keeping soft baits on during a powerful cast, but it then softens up after a while in the water. That is fine in certain circumstances, but if you also wish to prevent the bait being removed by pest critters (anything from crays to chub :D) for as long as possible, then it isn't the best.

Cheers, Dave.

The original logic behind using a section of spaghetti as a stop was that it was very good at keeping soft baits on during a powerful cast, but it then softens up after a while in the water. That is fine in certain circumstances, but if you also wish to prevent the bait being removed by pest critters (anything from crays to chub ) for as long as possible, then it isn't the best.

Yup, spot on David, thats why I prefer a piece of match. Never understood the logic behind hair rigging it either, think its something thats evolved from the paranoia of carp anglers. I want the hook on big meat to be as close to the bottom of the bait as possible, not stuck at the top! I`ve had many barbel that have come to the net with the bait sliding on the hooklength which proves to me that they suck the hook out the bottom of the bait. You`d never get that with a hair rig, which lets face it, is designed for anti ejection and with a gob of meat three inches across, is something thats not going to happen!!

Back