• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

BIG CHUB

On the Gt Ouse 5 or 6 years back fish of that size were very common. My best winter I had 24 over 6lb with 4 of those being 7lb +. As impressive as that may sound it puts it in perspective a little if I tell you that I was perch fishing until after Christmas so most of those fish came in just a couple of months.
Moving forward to the present day and its a bit of a contrast... I've fished hard all winter for a big chub and had 4 captures over 6lb, one was a 6.15 fish that I caught previously last season and two of those were a 7lb fish caught twice, a week (and 600yds) apart. 6lb and 7lb chub aren't rare at all if you catch a river at the right stage of its cycle for the species, the Thames seems to be the place to be right now!
I think that sums it up, right place , right time. Also taking into account the size and type of River and predation. We had a good head of big old mature chub and then had a common seal take residence for several months about 4-5 years ago - it changes everything.
A 7lber for me on a northern spate river is still a very special fish, as is a double figure barbel.

Just for the record, a chub weighing 8.04 was reported from Throop on the Dorset Stour a couple of weeks ago. Details, including a photo, can be found on the public Throop FB page.

Dave

Over the years I've been very lucky to of had 3 7lb chub whilst barbel fishing, so then started to target them as a change species from barbel eventually catching them to 8lb 6oz.

The one common dominator in my search for these larger fish, was to fish the areas where river carpers were frequenting, for they'd fed the fish to the weights I wanted. I can't imagine the fish of my dreams would of attained the weights just feeding on naturals, maybe it could of got to a big 6, but I do attribute the extra couple of pounds, to the carp anglers baits being piled in...

But then I confess, you do hear of monster fish being seen in rivers long before the high protein baits were ever invented. So I guess that theory could well be argued against. 😊

Jesus an august 7 😳 that’s enormous.
Yeah that could be knocking on the door of 8lb after a good winter fill and over 8lb for sure if full of spawn
Not necessarilly Richard . I had a 7.6 in february that had been 8,2 in october caught by a well respected angler( and friend) with witnesses. It had moved from its normal haunt as the snag that it lived in had been removed. Unless I misweighed it. lol

Back