• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

BFW Rods

Andy Frances

Administrator
Staff member
I’m pleased to announce that we now have a selection of BFW rods available from BFW again. All built on the Harrison 12’ 2lb Torrix blank.

As many will be aware, we had many years of selling some fantastic rods that were built by our very own Bob Gill. Bob has scaled back his rod building in recent years so these have been made by another good friend and lifelong fishing partner of mine, Shane Canter. Shane runs SC Custom Rods and has built some lovely rods to date.

I was very fortunate to witness the quality the rods Bob built for BFW (including the rod I still use) and have to say that I’m extremely happy with the quality of these new rods.

I need to produce a slightly nicer looking page to present the rods, but for the time being you can see them here:

https://barbel.co.uk/bfw-rods/

Let me know by PM if you are interested or if you have any questions.

Cheers,

Andy

They look lovely Andy.
I like the little personal touch of the isotope in the Fuji reel seat. Only ever seen that on those crappy carbon free spirit seats that constantly let go of the reels.
they should sell nicely at those prices. Very competitive. I would add that perhaps you should offer a little more variety. A 12ft 2lb torrix isn’t really a very popular blank that I know of. I’d certainly add the 11ft option to the portfolio as it’s just a nicer rod all round imo than the 12’s
AFAIK the 2lb and 1.75lb butt sections on the torrix are the same you could possibly offer a twin top rod if that’s the case much like the old I powers.

Yes the 11’ 1.75 Torrix is brilliant, probably the best rod I own and have used (Thanks again Mr Gill) but so is the 2lb 12’ Torrix when I need it.

I’ve a 12’ twin tip set up and the 1.75 is not great as it just doesn’t feel balanced and feels sloppy but put the 2lb section on and it’s different gravy.

More than handled the Wye on Monday with 10’ of floodwater on.

They look lovely Andy.
I like the little personal touch of the isotope in the Fuji reel seat. Only ever seen that on those crappy carbon free spirit seats that constantly let go of the reels.
they should sell nicely at those prices. Very competitive. I would add that perhaps you should offer a little more variety. A 12ft 2lb torrix isn’t really a very popular blank that I know of. I’d certainly add the 11ft option to the portfolio as it’s just a nicer rod all round imo than the 12’s
AFAIK the 2lb and 1.75lb butt sections on the torrix are the same you could possibly offer a twin top rod if that’s the case much like the old I powers.
Rich.

I would say the Torrix 2lb 12ft blank is the most popular one for barbel anglers with a bit of cash.

A few years earlier it was the 1.75.

But the fact so many barbel anglers have one/ two or more already may restrict sales.

I ordered 2 x 2lb custom made of mate
Ian Tucker 2 weeks ago mind..

Rich.

I would say the Torrix 2lb 12ft blank is the most popular one for barbel anglers with a bit of cash.

A few years earlier it was the 1.75.

But the fact so many barbel anglers have one/ two or more already may restrict sales.

I ordered 2 x 2lb custom made of mate
Ian Tucker 2 weeks ago mind..
I couldn’t tell you the exact numbers of different rods sold but Ive heard of more people taking the 11’s over the 12’s and I personally think the 11’s in either Tc are a far nicer rod but that’s my opinion.

Last edited:
Thanks for the feedback everyone. We've made a good start as two rods have sold already.

We'll certainly be offering other configurations and test curves, and the 11' Torrix will be most likely next on the list. If there's something you're after in particular then please get in touch.

I'm personally not a fan of twin tip rods anymore. I think one of the configurations always feels compromised. Although I still love our old i-power blanks, there's no doubt the 1.75 set up feels unbalanced whereas the 2lb set up is perfect. Just my opinion.

I'm personally not a fan of twin tip rods anymore. I think one of the configurations always feels compromised.
My thoughts exactly. It either works with a butt section beautifully or it doesn’t.
same thing with these poxy feeder rods that have several tips. Only 1 or 2 at a push actually work with the rod action.

Thanks for the feedback everyone. We've made a good start as two rods have sold already.

We'll certainly be offering other configurations and test curves, and the 11' Torrix will be most likely next on the list. If there's something you're after in particular then please get in touch.

I'm personally not a fan of twin tip rods anymore. I think one of the configurations always feels compromised. Although I still love our old i-power blanks, there's no doubt the 1.75 set up feels unbalanced whereas the 2lb set up is perfect. Just my opinion.
Agree with you about the set up,I don't know how many years I've had my I-power it's still the first go to rod when I fish.

I’ve got two bfw ipowers, both twin tip and I love them, i don’t believe the 1.75 top is unbalanced, great rods.

Actually maybe’unbalanced’ is unfair. I probably should have said better in 2lb than 1.75lb 🙂 IMO

Does any other rod builder have the ability Bob had to add the hardwood sections at the end of the cork? Loved that on my torrix he built me years ago. Always meant to get another built before he retired just never got round to it. Haven’t seen it anywhere else.

Does any other rod builder have the ability Bob had to add the hardwood sections at the end of the cork? Loved that on my torrix he built me years ago. Always meant to get another built before he retired just never got round to it. Haven’t seen it anywhere else.
I’ve seen Dave lumb has some options available for such things but I agree, I’ve not seen anything that looks as nice as bobs wooden handles parts.
The thing is, stuff like that goes a step beyond normal rod building really and into engineering because bob turns and finishes them himself on a manual lathe. They ain’t bought in.
Never sell a Bob Gill rod....... the fact that they have these special touches and the fact he doesn’t officially build no more means they are going to become extremely collectible and valuable.

I’ve seen Dave lumb has some options available for such things but I agree, I’ve not seen anything that looks as nice as bobs wooden handles parts.
The thing is, stuff like that goes a step beyond normal rod building really and into engineering because bob turns and finishes them himself on a manual lathe. They ain’t bought in.
Never sell a Bob Gill rod....... the fact that they have these special touches and the fact he doesn’t officially build no more means they are going to become extremely collectible and valuable.

I know i really regret selling my torrix Bob did me. However have a 4 piece avon he did which is my go to rod for most things now as it fits on a shelf in my van. Will never sell that one!

Re. multiple tips on rods 'not working'. I can see that it may be true with through action rods but I'd have thought it would be much less of a problem with more 'tippy', and fast/progressive rods.
My 5 Nash Tri-tips have served me well for 20yrs (even when cutting down 2 x 1.5lb tips to make a pair of 2.25lb rods!) Dunno, can only speak from personal experience.

Back