• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

BFW fly fishing day? anyone interested?

Would have loved a day "fluff-flinging" but, sadly, it means a 160-mile round trip for me, as well as being a Saturday (normally reserved for the Mrs' shopping/day-out time)

If there's a chance of another within a reasonable distance of 'the Midlands' (I recall a pleasant outing to a fishery near Willington a few years ago. Hint! hint!) I could probably swing it with a bit of sweet-talk, and I haven't "opened my flies" for some years now!! (these are not necessarily directly related issues!!)

Roger

Roger.

I attended both the ones at willington. Great fun. There is a bfw fly fishing report on here somewhere.

Im not sure but think it might be private fishing now?

Why not try and arrange something. Sounds like your buzzer needs an airing!

Graham

Graham

After a bit of research, it looks like Willington lake has now become Mercia Marina, a 500+ berth super marina....Great! What a waste of a decent fishery!!

You're right though, I think I really ought to dig out my old, dried-up, under-used nymph pattern and wave it about a bit (I'm long out of practice in that particular pursuit, but I'm told it's "like riding a bike"!)

Roger

I should know tomorrow Graham- I may be travelling for work that weekend, which, like farting in a lift- is wrong on so many levels.

I should know tomorrow Graham- I may be travelling for work that weekend, which, like farting in a lift- is wrong on so many levels.

:D

Might be one or two extras tomorrow Graham. Tim who attended last year, and an another.

Hi Graham,

Tim has confirmed. Just waiting on Graham H who should know by tomorrow. Both experienced fly-fishers.

Boats - Might be better for the non fly-fishers amongst us as this allows you to drift and cover moving trout with short casts. Loch Style they call it, but if there's a fair to strong wind we will need to deploy a drogue per boat. Suggest you don't eat too many beans the night before. Alternatively you can anchor up which are supplied but less effective.

Its £60 for a boat sporting ticket on Farmoor2, so £30 per angler. A fiver more than the bank sporting ticket would be on Farmoor 1. Unless you can get a discount of course Graham ;). Angling Trust members also receive a discount, which I recall is about 10%.

The numbers fishing need to be even ideally (2 per boat). Three per boat is asking for trouble and I don't believe they allow it. If the numbers attending are odd then someone will have to be billy no mates, until we swap over after lunch.

Might be worth checking there are no matches going on the 18th too.

I'm easy and will go with the flow. :D

EDIT: Graham H is unable to attend.

Last edited:
So
PAUL
Mark S
Richard
Tim
Steve R
Gary C
Me.

Gary needs all gear. Anyone spare set please?

Waiting on Mark C and Ed can you advise pls guys?

I will book 4 BOATS if poss.

Checked comp earlier. One next day.

G

Sorry Graham. Only just seen this.

Unfortunately, for the same reason I cannot attend the Lands End for the BS meeting, I'm not going to be able to make either of those dates.

Maybe next year...

Paul and I had a day yesterday at Farmoor.

Strange day. Big buzzer hatch but fish not really on the feed.

We did however, by switching tactics frequently manage 10 between up with Paul of course netting the biggest at around 5lb.! Still looking for one more attendee to fill a boat.

Graham

Graham.

Ok.
Looks like 7 of us then

TIM
PAUL
GARY
STEVE R
MARK S
RICHARD
ME.

So someone will have boat alone for half day and then suggest we do swop. I SUGGEST we share out equally the total costs. ?

Gary. Paul will bring tackle for you.

Meet and be ready to go boating by 9 am ok for all?

Boats need to be in by 6pm and I need to leave then to go to MODS band night ( that'll mean nothing to the youngsters!)

Any queries or problems let me know please.
GRAHAM

Ok.
Looks like 7 of us then

TIM
PAUL
GARY
STEVE R
MARK S
RICHARD
ME.

So someone will have boat alone for half day and then suggest we do swop. I SUGGEST we share out equally the total costs. ?

Gary. Paul will bring tackle for you.

Meet and be ready to go boating by 9 am ok for all?

Boats need to be in by 6pm and I need to leave then to go to MODS band night ( that'll mean nothing to the youngsters!)

Any queries or problems let me know please.
GRAHAM

Graham will be arriving on his scooter :p

That's great Graham
really looking forward to it
ill see you at meeting this week
Thanks
Gary

Likewise Mark.

Too windy as you know to teach the art of casting a fly properly. However I think we made the best of a tough day on Farmoor, which resulted in a good few trout between us. Thanks to Graham for organizing the day.

Gary's first followed by Marks after a few close calls. ;)

Back