• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Bewdley

Richard Booty

Senior Member & Supporter
Hello - me and a couple of mates are having a 3 days trip in search of Barbel at Bridgnorth and was hoping for some pointers. I've looked at Hampton Loade and Unicorn on Kinvers Freeliners as well as Northwood and Trimpley on the BAA ticket and they all look promising? But where would we start?! Only got three days and never fished the Severn before....

There's a decent stretch downstream of Bridgenorth just below the caravan park, my wife and I have had some success there before.
Just ask in the local tackle shop....

There is also a good stretch upstream which is run by the British Legion, and used to produce lots of smaller fish....

Andy

Richard anywhere between Bridgnorth and Bewdley will produce fish. Hampton loade would be a good start either baa or kfac stretches....but they do get busy. Bridgnorth below the bridge can be productive. Stanley waters on BAA has produced several fish for me.

As for tactics keep it simple , a 3oz feeder with crumb and crushed pellet with a boilie or pellet will generally do the trick.....if that fails fine down your end tackle and bait to smaller pellets. Or you could give a lump of meat a try.

How about lincolm weir? Little bit further down stream but some good fish there. Think you can night fish if you speak to the lock keeper in advance.
If you end up at arley and I'm about I don't mind showing you a few pegs where Iv had joy from.

Richard,
Stayed here before for a few nights. They have there own fishing which is okay. It is also situated smack in the middle of Bewdley and Bridgenorth. :)

Thanks for all the advice - overall we had a tough trip with only a handful of Barbel caught but it's a beautiful river and with a bit more knowledge I'm sure we could have had more. We ended up fishing Hampton Loade, Arley (where we lost more than we caught...) and The Danery

How come you lost so many fish at Arley Richard?? Were you fishing upstream of the footbridge, in 'Cromwell's Hole'??

It was below the footbridge - we were mainly roving and it was frustrating to say the least. Never like leaving hooks in fish but there were obviously some hidden snags. Nice bit of water though.

Back