• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Betalight/isotope alternative

Here’s my little invention... screw in tip ring fitted to the rod ...then an isotope fitted to a cut down quivertip with silicone tubing to make it flexible

Attachments

• C56FED09-F7C8-447E-8ADF-62504AC187DE.jpeg
    C56FED09-F7C8-447E-8ADF-62504AC187DE.jpeg
    27.4 KB · Views: 330
I've just done my isotopes on my rod tips, I bought some clear pvc flexible pipe, with an internal diameter of 4mm, cut it at 35mm long ( isotopes are 25mm long x 3mm wide) plugged the end with some CT1, like silicone but better, then I got 4:1 shrink ratio shrink tube, cut two pieces at 25mm and shrunk it on the ends, it's quite a neat job👍🏻.

No mate straight over the top, the shrink tube I used was 12mm diameter and it shrunk down 4 times it's original state.

Thanks all, there’s some very inventive solutions there. I’m liking the option of the light sitting flush to the blank.

I've also shrink tubed two isotopes to the tip of the rod ; however one upright isotope is much easier to see. I'm not quite sure why this is

I've also shrink tubed two isotopes to the tip of the rod ; however one upright isotope is much easier to see. I'm not quite sure why this is
Depends on the angle you sit your rod.
If you’ve got it laying flat across the tip you’ll only see the back end of the isotope if your rod is set up quite horizontally
In this case you’ll see a vertical isotope much better.
If your fishing beach caster style with the rods up nice and high it’s more visible laying on the rod than sticking up proud.
The bend in the tip also contributes to how well you’ll see it.
Personally I don’t mind so long as I can see something. A tiny green dot is plenty visible especially when it starts gunning for the water.

This is the reason I like 2 white bands on the GTx.
3 very different backgrounds but the tip stands out nicely.
I’ve always been a tip watcher, I’m not one for bobbins or alarms.
They have their place if your on for a few nights on the trot.

Attachments

• 6CEC4CB3-A292-4EFE-9E63-8B3A7D156332.jpeg
    6CEC4CB3-A292-4EFE-9E63-8B3A7D156332.jpeg
    153.1 KB · Views: 331
  • FCBB8BB8-355F-4098-B14A-811D50DBAC9F.jpeg
    FCBB8BB8-355F-4098-B14A-811D50DBAC9F.jpeg
    210.4 KB · Views: 341
  • 07F9A003-1679-46D6-BB29-1CB3C11922D3.jpeg
    07F9A003-1679-46D6-BB29-1CB3C11922D3.jpeg
    97.9 KB · Views: 349
I’ve got two isotopes on my rods,one near to the tip and the other mid way between the last but one and last ring,both are in shrink tube and whipped to the blank,easy on the eyes and works a treat 👍

After watching an isotope fly off into space landing mid river earlier in the season I ordered some light sticks from amazon. They are 37 mm long and4.5 mm diameter. I attach them to the rod using 3 drennan medium bait bands slipped over the tip ring.Seems to work ok.They are cheap under £3 for 10 packs 5 in each pack.

I do a bit of night fishing for Barbel, usually on the upper Lea.
My usual bite indicater is my Okuma Aventa centepin.
I'd much prefer the check to be a lot stronger but it seems to work with a 75gram feeder on a running link and smallish hooks. 12/10.
Banded pellets, usually 8mm.

Here's a easy peasy one, slide some shrink tube over the end of the top eye, bit of fairy liquid helps, slide in the isotope, or isotopes, steam the tube, when dry smear a dab of superglue on the ends to seal, go fishing

Followed this thread with interest, and have painted a rod tip with glow in the dark paint this looks ok, but the glow fades after a while and was wondering if anybody could reccomend a site for good isotopes without paying the earth, or for quality isotopes do you have to pay through the teeth?

Followed this thread with interest, and have painted a rod tip with glow in the dark paint this looks ok, but the glow fades after a while and was wondering if anybody could reccomend a site for good isotopes without paying the earth, or for quality isotopes do you have to pay through the teeth?
I use the drennan ones. 2 in a pack for about £12. After reading this thread though I have ordered some shrink tubing to have a go at lying one flat at the top of the rod but will leave the one further down standing up as I rarely get caught round that one anyway

£14 for a 1inch Korda one.
Is it really spending the earth when you get potentially 20 years of service from it?
I’d sooner spend the extra fiver on a brand that’s trusted to go the distance.

I used to buy mine in units of 20 from a reliable source.
Since then the larger sizes seem to have been phased out and prices gone up significantly.
Green was reckoned on being the brightest colour.
Remember having to search around for the 4mm x 20mm and quality got quite variable.

Cheers
Bob

Back