• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

best way to use worm

Andrew Elliot

what your favourite way to use worm for barbel in your opion straight on a big hook or hair rigged?chopped or whole? and how many?

what your favourite way to use worm for barbel in your opion straight on a big hook or hair rigged?chopped or whole? and how many?

Depends entirely on the type and size of worms you want to use. I suspect you mean lob worms, in which case my favourite method is one or two straight on a large hook, with a small section or rubber band to stop them coming off (the last in particular when using barb-less hooks).

Cheers, Dave.

i use one and one half.

It is said to improve flavour leakage Dave, although I have never noticed much difference myself....but it's certainly worth a try. I knew I guy once who always used half a dozen short lob tails, looked like gert big odd coloured maggots on the hook....worked for him :D

Cheers, Dave.

It was only a matter of time I suppose :) Look keep it simple if you have lob worms great, just hook through the 'saddle' and I nip off the tail to give a extra wiggle and a provide scent trail, mount them on a 12 barbed hook. Hair rigged worms? Please, no !!

Of course worms are a fantastic bait, but all species love them, so for barbel fishing they are a great Chub, Perch, Bream, Roach, Pike, bait also:)

If using barbless hooks, Enterprise Fake Maggots (I prefer the red ones) are a great way of keeping the worm on the hook. I do this particularly when Perch fishing.

Look keep it simple if you have lob worms great, just hook through the 'saddle' and I nip off the tail to give a extra wiggle and a provide scent trail, ......................

A favourite way of mine for Lobworm fishing when using a heavy lead, is to put a size 6 hook, straight through the pointy end :D (mouth) then out 10mm down. You can nip the tail off too if you like. This is an old Carpers trick to stop them from being ripped off when the lead crashes into the lake/river. Try it - it works. :)

Last edited:
Of course worms are a fantastic bait, but all species love them, so for barbel fishing they are a great Chub, Perch, Bream, Roach, Pike, bait also:)

Has the Eel really declined that much for you guys still fishing worm? Not aimed at you Neil but it struck me that it was absent from your list - in the last few seasons i'd bet my house if i cast a ledgered worm into the Ribble an eel would take it!

Lower Severn's the same Andy, or at least until later in the season. Mind you I've caught eels in December, on the river, during mild winters.

Back