• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Best nite lites

Paul Clotworthy

What nite lites are people using I used the cheap throw anyway ones but have none left can anyone put me in right direction for something decent

the green ones will last a season easy on a set of batterys you get 2 mounting brackets for thin and thick rod tips
tape or whip on the light then slides on or off been using them 2 years I just painted them black to dull them down a bit for some reason ?? the red ones eat batterys ?

Korda isotopes are my favorite in the 25x3 size.
you’ll get 15-20 years of glow out of a quality isotope. Go with the green as it’s the brightest colour but it’s also the most popular colour so the chances are it hasn’t been sitting on the shelf long.

I use the drennan. Have both on the rod as it definitely helps. I always used to find that with one light after a bit you’re eyes would start tripping and it looked like it was moving but with the two you don’t get that problem

I use the drennan. Have both on the rod as it definitely helps. I always used to find that with one light after a bit you’re eyes would start tripping and it looked like it was moving but with the two you don’t get that problem
Bet that gets expensive if your running a pair of rods 🤣

Bet that gets expensive if your running a pair of rods 🤣
I only ever fish one rod on the river. I generally only fish the middle Severn so no need for 2 rods. Plus most swims don’t really have the room for more than one. The odd times Iv night fished the lower and used 2 I just listen for the bait runner on the second rod but to be fair it’s never actually gone off so wasn’t a problem

I use two on the Lower, one if i fish the middle. I also use the Drennans, but i put the isotope in an Enterprise rod tip holder on my rods, they stay on there permanently.

I used to use the enterprise holder before I brought the drennan. Iv never had one come off. I don’t get tangled round them very often either. The only times I ever really get tangled is after catching a fish when unhooking and putting the rod out the way but that ain’t very often

There is a seller on ebay, i think its Darrens-Isotopes or DarrensCarpIsotopes who sells different sized ones and different colours.

I find having 2 different colour isotopes helped me alot. I use a green and a white one (dont go for red would be another tip)

I have drennan isotopes which are great but not when I keep losing them when I forget to take them off at the end of a session
I do have some shrunk on but not on all rods
So on a whim I did get some of the below off Amazon

They are super bright and cheap as chips but take a while to arrive

I have drennan isotopes which are great but not when I keep losing them when I forget to take them off at the end of a session
I do have some shrunk on but not on all rods
So on a whim I did get some of the below off Amazon

They are super bright and cheap as chips but take a while to arrive

Every year they sell these by the box of fifty at Lidls, normally around April/ May time, I think they were about four quid a box the last time I bought some, I still have about fifty odd left now, if you only use them for a few hours, just bung them in the freezer and they "go to sleep" and are bright for the next night session.

David

I use these snap type, bright and cheap as chips, 100 for £8 delivered. They last around three or four days and seem to get brighter again after a fish. Probably not much use on some rivers but great in God's own county! 😆

Just ordered some Drennan ones dose anyone just put a little super glue on theses to hold them in place at all
No need to clue the isotope itself in the tube on the drennan ones as it’s closed at one end but it wouldn’t be a bad idea to put a dab of glue on the barb before you push the tube over it.just try not to get it on the rod.

the green ones will last a season easy on a set of batterys you get 2 mounting brackets for thin and thick rod tips
tape or whip on the light then slides on or off been using them 2 years I just painted them black to dull them down a bit for some reason ?? the red ones eat batterys ?

Red light has poor penetration, due to the wavelength. It’s ability to pass through water for example is pretty poor, red light disappearin the water column after only about 5 meters. This is why lots of deep sea fish are red, in their environment they are effectively colourless you could say invisible.

Because of its characteristics, a red light source appears dimmer than most, about 2/3 times less bright to our eyes than Green. It’s most probable that the lamp is stepped up to give a similar apparent brightness to the eye and as such uses more juice. Ever notice the crack style do dads in red are far less bright?

I know that’s not a conclusive answer but its the bits floating around my pickled brain.

When I used to use the cheap glow sticks I found my favourite to be red, the others were just far too bright for me. I know isotopes aren't quite as bright, but my drennans are donkeys years old and very faint, still do the job for me though, so I might replace them with red isotopes eventually.

Back