• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

best line for stick float fishing

Hi Rob, personal choice but what spcies you after, Ive fished it for years on the match world, and I cant fault Maxima to be honest, 2lb b/s on the Avon for roach n chub, the main thing with any line is to give it a good spraying with line floatant before you start, pull about a meter of line off the spool then blast the spool with a good coating, I would go up to 3lb b/s for waggler fishing.

Another vote for the drennan floatfish........

I think that floatfish comes in bs. 2lb. to 6lb....

Occasionally 2.0lb but mostly 2.6lb or 3.2lb Drennan Floatfish depending on how deep/clear the water is - great stuff. Use half a spool at a time to get double the value.

As an all rounder there has never been imo anything better than maxima, in the lower bs, 2 and 3lb were my favourites, its tough durable and good stretch that helps bumping the odd fish or two. If stickfloat fishing always apply some line float spray as maxima sinks like a stone. This year i have done a bit of Float fishing for Barbel on the Trent this year and i had a free spool of Ultima power plus in 8lb bs, which in use was absolute spot on.

I use maxima for the majority of my running line fishing,and like most on here used to spray it to make it float.However back in the 90s, the national team I was fishing with, enlisted a certain John Allerton to give us a few tips on the Trent.One which made a big impression on me was to fish the stick with your line sunk,it is less susceptible to the wind,will give better contact and run down better.
When holding back you can still get Maxima to work by lifting the line clear of the water,if you keep the line in the water when holding back you will still go at the speed of the current.
His other tip,(assuming a fixed spool reel) was to backwind the float down the swim with the line sunk.Absolutely awesome.It take a while to learn but gives complete speed control,speeding up or down at will.
However if fishing for Barbel on the float I would nearly always run it at em with a stretchy old fashioned line on a center pin and a nice trough action rod,Drennan stick for me.
Ken

Reflo powerline for me.
I've also been given some silstar stuff to try out, apparantely the match boys swear by it.

Steve

I recall the Drennan line being made by Bayer, hence same bs's. Also that Bayer is designed to float, Maxima to sink.
When fishing the stick, there is more disturbance of the water on the strike, less so with the waggler.
Float fishing is the most rewarding way to fish, at least for myself, especially on running water.

I tend to use Maxima for pretty much all my general course fishing. However, I've done a bit more messing around with a stick this year so have tried other lines because Maxima is a sinker and I can't be bothered with floatants.

My favourite floating line so far is
Ultima Flocast. I couldn't comment on its longevity but it's a joy to use.

I tend to use Maxima for pretty much all my general course fishing. However, I've done a bit more messing around with a stick this year so have tried other lines because Maxima is a sinker and I can't be bothered with floatants.

My favourite floating line so far is
Ultima Flocast. I couldn't comment on its longevity but it's a joy to use.

well ,i can comment on its longevity ,its the best floating line there is ,been using it for four or five years now (well sinse it came onto the market) it does have two flaws ,one its lowest b/s is 4lbs ( no problem if you use a hooklength ) and its not too good in sub zero temps as its hollow and can break from being frozen .but in normal temp its brilliant ,it casts well from a centrepin and lifts off the water at distance really well ,takes a knot well ,and floats like a really floaty thing should.

if i decide too go lower in mainline b/s then i use ultima mist gray ,a floating line ,or bayer perlon .

for chub & barbel i'd recommend 6-8lbs line (higher if you expect higher double figured barbel)

although i usually use braid as my mainline with a mono hooklength ,i match them by dia (ie 14lbs fireline crystal to 6lbs mono ) this is the only time i'd use maxima (or any really stretchy line ,that sinks) just too give enough stretch / give in the set up.

I use Reflo Powerline, it is thinner for its BS than the others mentioned, this means I can use a heavier BS for the same diameter of line, for a modern low dia line it is quite durable and when treated with line grease floats quite well, conversely when rubbed down with a fullers earth and soap mixture it sinks well enough too.

As has been mentioned, I also only use 50yds at a time (I certainly cannot see a fine float tip 40 yards away) therefore you get two fills for the price of one, most importantly when used with a through action rod it withstands shock well, it also tends to break at a higher strain than that which is stated on the box.

For years I stuck with Bayer Perlon and while Drennan Float Fish is similar it is not as good,
I am told Float fish is from Bayer and that may be so, but it is defiantly not the same as Perlon, which I cannot find anywhere for love or money.

Back