• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Best hemp?

Can't really answer that Steve unless it has been stored for some time and they want to get rid of it. What you have to remember is that the price drops dramatically if you order larger quantities, and even better if you collect rather than have delivered. A company buying 100's of kilos is probably only paying 20p per kilo and cooking in bulk would not cost a lot.
I think you are a tad out with your estimation of cost there Mike!!

Interesting the slow cooker method not tried that but will give it a go

after many years of fishing large carp lakes in France lots with no facilities I used the Pressure cooker method on my Coleman double burner petrol stove
the great thing is no soaking is required so cutting the time down method is fill the trivet to the top with hempseed then the important bit put water in until it only just !!!!!
covers the seed then bring it to max pressure and time 5 mins of steaming you can let it cool down naturally OR dump it in the lake/river to rapid cool it you will have perfect split seed every time

Placed my order with Maltbys on September 16th, got a reply advising delivery between 19-23 September, the last few days the tracking site (Whistl) has been showing "in transit" but still not arrived. Just sent them email asking what is going on!

Maltbys reply was that their courier (Whistl) had let them down, lost the delivery. I decided to cancel the order as I won't be able to accept delivery after today, got an instant refund. Hope I have better luck when I re-order!

A mate picked me up a 20kg sack of hemp from Titmuss ,Wheathamsted on Saturday batch number 295 for £34 . Just chucked some in a big pan for a short session and 30 mins later every grain has split without soaking . It even has an expiry date of 3/2/20. On the look out for a pressure cooker now.

Last edited:
If using hemp for feed, does it matter if it doesn't all split? would the fish still be attracted to un split hemp?, My guess is they would, so why worry. I recently got some prepared from Angling Direct, 5kg of own brand "Advanta" , with the discount worked out just over £10 delivered. Decathlon also have jars/tins of prepared hemp and other particles at a fair price, worth stoscking up for a on the spur trip. I suppose if you're getting through gallons of the stuff then buying unprepared in bulk is a no brainer.

Back