• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Best day fishing of the year

Haydn Clarke

Senior Member & Supporter
Mine was back in the summer. I intended to fish the Great Ouse at a section near home but on arrival I found the river very low, very weedy and gin-clear, all on a very hot midsummers day. My hopes of catching anything quickly evaporated and I decided to head off down to some near-by gravel pits instead.

Once at the pits I spotted several good sized Upper double figure carp amongst some lilly pads only yards out from the edge. Trembling, I just about managed to thread up a free-lined piece of bread flake, gave it a quick dip to give it some weight, and then under arm flicked out to the further side of the pads. No more than ten seconds later a large pair of lips emerged from the depths and swollowed up the bread. The cane rod that I had recently restored bent all the way through to the butt, the Speedia wined as the line went off, but both coped admirably though, and a short time later a 15lb 8oz immaculate conditioned, almost leather carp graced my unhooking mat. The first one of the top for me in some time. However, the rest of the carp had gone heads down so I decided to chance my arm an the river after all.

Back on the river, at the stretch I had originally intended to fish, and a short while later, once again the rod is bent and the reel is screaming. This time it's a new P.B 6lb 1oz chub. Very happy I was by then. And even happier still, when a few hours later, and after a move upstream, I hooked into one of the few barbel I managed to catch this year, a 7.lb'er.

So, only a few hours fishing, on a glorious day, in less than perfect conditions, no monsters, but by far and away my best days fishing of the year. All fish caught on my own bait and with a rod and reel I'd restored myself. I walked back to the van that afternoon with a bit of spring in my step.

Your best days fishing gents?

Last edited:
Three barbel to 8lb02oz, three chub to 5lb and a bonus perch of 1lb12oz on stick and pin in a short session from first light in June. Will live long in my memory as it was on a pretty hard venue.

Too many to mention this year!

And funnily enough all the fish have been caught by others and if you had said to me five years ago I would have had so much fun and enjoyment from sharing other's excitement I doubt whether I would have believed you!

Just finishing an article right now about one of the most special.

All the best.

My best day's fishing was......

2 doubles at 12lb 5oz, 11lb 9oz and 2 other barbel between 7lb and 9lb at the Lower Benyons on a perfect summer's day. AND I had some cold beers in my bag!! Just perfect......

Last edited:
Mine has to this summer on the Tidal Trent, i made a decision not to take my barbel rods and solely take my heavy float gear and went armed with 2 pints of maggots and a half gallon of hemp. I had only once fished for barbel previously and caught a 9lber before and after 2 hours without a bite i was having a word with myself thinking i had put all my eggs in the wrong basket. Half hour later i was into my first barbel, just over 10 it weighed. Over the next 3 hours it was followed by 3 more to 11lb 9oz.
It was one of those days that put an all new dimension into my Barbel fishing, and over the next 2 months or so i tried the method on other stretches and caught well. So when the river is low and clear and its not too windy, that's the method i will be on, as its better than looking at 2 motionless tips...

A toss up between a session on the tidal Trent, good company, two doubles and witnessing a fifteen. Season's target of a double from the Swale well above Topcliffe. Yesterday's chub session on the Swale. An eighteen fish tench hall from a fairly neglected water.

I suspect next years targets may not include barbel at all. I want a carp, any carp, from a specific water. I'd like a carp over twenty and I'm going for the odd big stripey. Anything three or over will be nice.

Last edited:
On the Apley estate at Bridgnorth just being in a lovely part of the country on a nice day in good company and some amazing wild life. Fishing was steady without being spectacular. Just being there was priceless.

Paul

Mine was june 21st on the royalty, using a new rod,first fish a 12lb barbel followed by a 6.15 chub! a further six barbel followed but not all on the new rod! HAPPY DAYS!!! :D:D:D:D

Back