• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Best boilies.

Richard Barrett

Over the years what boilies would you say has been the most successful for the barbel angler. Someone told me the ones from Dynamite The Source?

Whats been your favourite, one you would not go barbel fishing without?

Hello Richard .TBH I always go fishing without them as I don't use them . I am sure barbel will eat any number of different flavoured boilies as they have very catholic tastes ,however baits that don't requires drilling etc are just as effective . I reckon a banded halibut pellet or a lump of spam will be gobbled up by barbel if they are in a feeding mood as would a worm , slug, bunch of maggots ,piece of cheese,breadcrust , the list is virtually endless . Of course all of these baits are none selective and will be taken by other species , I am not aware of a bait which only exclusively attracts barbel . Seeing what turns up is all part of the fun , unless it's a bream of course , horrible slimy things :)

Like Mike, i dont bother with them, have used them in the past with no better results than other baits. Much prefer pre drilled Hali's or meat. :)

Spent many years making my own and had a freezer full of ingredients. Used to make the basemix for Bfw - was called B8.
Made a great mix (known as BWBB - Bobs Wonderful Barbel Bait - not named by me, I hasten to add) but that worked well both as boilie or paste on a number of rivers.
These days, just reach for a stock commercial bait - one of them being The Source.
There are others that work instantly.
Have fun,

Cheers
Bob

I use several different baits, not really on scientific grounds, but more what ever I am feeling confident with at the time.
So halibut pellets, spam, cheese paste, and bread flake. But when I use boilies they are either The source or DNA baits Secret 7. Both are soft baits so a baiting needle goes through easily.

Can't go wrong with dynamite baits, marine halibut, source, crave, robin red etc... all catch barbel. Go outdoors sell robin red for £8/kg

Does vary

Sometimes a large halibut pellet , other times a mini boillie, fish can be fickle things, take a good selection of baits, if only I had taken the cheap sliced bread when tench fishing a few weeks ago, another angler was bagging up , where as I could not get passed the Rudd.

Alex. Guy's

Sometimes I take so many hook baits I even confuse myself. Mini boilies, small and large pellets, big boilies, bread, luncheon meat, maggots, and always hemp.

I did find a sausage flavour very good, but like a fool run out some weeks ago while carp fishing.

Most successful based on numbers of fish i would suggest The Source is well up there...but then it is one of if not the most popular baits, from one of the biggest bait stables in Dynamite.

Personally, i think there are better, more consistent baits out there...but that said, bar cold water fishing, i use almost exclusively pellets.

Mainline Maple 8, worked anywhere in boillie or paste form and caught me a number of PB's. Fab winter bait too; I had such great confidence in it!

When they stopped making it, I suggested that they relaunch it as Barbel 8!

Forgot Maple 8 - I bought quite a bit basemix and liquids and still have a few kgs in the freezer along with Active 8.
Cheers
Bob

Mainline Maple 8, worked anywhere in boillie or paste form and caught me a number of PB's. Fab winter bait too; I had such great confidence in it!

When they stopped making it, I suggested that they relaunch it as Barbel 8!

Neil just curious
would you say Maple 8 ..14mm dumbbells would be about the best size ? if they were to produce it again ?

Activ 8 used to be a great bait but it's changed now not sure what it is but 100% not the same as it used to be
yes one is Active 8 the current one.............. the other one at the moment no longer in production was Active 8 Mapel 2 slightly different baits

Neil just curious
would you say Maple 8 ..14mm dumbbells would be about the best size ? if they were to produce it again ?

I always rolled my own in 10mm and 12mm, and fished single or double on the hair. In addition to the activator liquid, I always added 10 ml of hemp oil too. Used this bait for the best part of 10 years and even caught Barbel from the Wye when it was snowing and my landing net was frozen to the bank!

Just had so much confidence in it as a Barbel bait, as did others that I know.

Talking shop bought boillies, there's quite a few out there that are really good, many that are mediocre, and a lot of rubbish too ! The most successful shop bought i ever used was Ritchworth Bioplex, but that was before i started making my own, making your own allows to to tweak, and change the mix until you are really happy with the results you are getting, once you have confidence in your bait you stop messing around chopping and changing, and your results will markedly improve, even skyrocket !! it is all about confidence in your bait, which comes from consistently catching, once you stop chopping and changing, your confidence will just go up and up !

Back