• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Best Beginner Book.

Danny Ash

Hi Guys, I hope you are well! For the past 18 months or so iv been fishing for a bit of everything really. Currently prepping for the river season to open again, im a real newcomer to fishing the rivers, having only spent around 9 months fishing them! Iv had a new club ticket giving me access to a huge section of the dove, multiple sections of the severn, a large portion of the river dane and various other rivers. The dove is local to me, allowing me access to and from the river with ease. Iv have a stretch available which is around 2 miles of bank, it has plenty of straight runs, sharp bends with deep pools ext. Iv fished the dove using basic methods, lead clip, mesh feeder filled with ground bait and pellet coupled with a long hooklink to a hair rigged Boilie, iv caught chub to just under 5lb. But I have no real experience of how to read the river, where I should be placing my baits ext.
I wanted to know if there were any good books that cover the watercraft/ reading the river side of things. Im from a carp background so rigs aren't a problem.
If you have any pointers, tips, online guides or book choices id love to know.
Many thanks
Dan

Have a read of Trevor West's, Barbel - A Lifetimes Addiction. He champions the "keep it simple" principle.
One thing I find pretty consistent on most small and mid-sized rivers is that early season fish the faster, shallow sections and later move to deeper, slower areas.
Would love to fish the Dove again, it's been 50 years since I last lived in the east Midlands.

Have a read of Trevor West's, Barbel - A Lifetimes Addiction. He champions the "keep it simple" principle.
One thing I find pretty consistent on most small and mid-sized rivers is that early season fish the faster, shallow sections and later move to deeper, slower areas.
Would love to fish the Dove again, it's been 50 years since I last lived in the east Midlands.
Il take a look at that one, always looking for a new book. Its a fantastic river, one I haven't really put the time and effort it deserves. Could also be another venue I can target for big perch. Many thanks

I got given 'Practical Barbel Fishing' by Graham Marsden and Mark Wintle as an Xmas gift a few years ago, it's a great introduction to barbel fishing and as you would expect from Graham Marsden its thoughtfully written and no-nonsense.

I'd been fishing for barbel for over 10 years already so it wasn't as much use to me as it would be a beginner, but I still learnt a lot from it.

It's sat on my shelf gathering dust, so its yours for the price of the postage if you want it Danny. PM me your address.

Cheers,

Joe

I got given 'Practical Barbel Fishing' by Graham Marsden and Mark Wintle as an Xmas gift a few years ago, it's a great introduction to barbel fishing and as you would expect from Graham Marsden its thoughtfully written and no-nonsense.

I'd been fishing for barbel for over 10 years already so it wasn't as much use to me as it would be a beginner, but I still learnt a lot from it.

It's sat on my shelf gathering dust, so its yours for the price of the postage if you want it Danny. PM me your address.

Cheers,

Joe
I'll second that - a really good choice . I'm reading it again now.

Welcome to the forum Danny. I wish you all the best this season.

Out of interest, what club have you joined? I fishThe Lower Dove and The Middle Severn, but they’re both on separate tickets

Back