• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Best approach for low density water.

Ben Marr

I've found a stretch not too far from home where there are a few Barbel, not many come out, but it is a nice place to fish and I don't mind putting a bit of time in there.
What would be my best approach? I'm thinking maybe maggot feeder on one rod, depending on nuisance fish numbers, and meat on another.

I think a lot depends on the water conditions.My river is low stock,and very low water,clear as well.But I’ve caught a few in the last week and a half.I’ve found that small baits and smallish hooks have worked.
Fishing just two to three hours in an evening,feeding small pellets and superglued pellets to the hair,or trimmed down dumbells have worked.
I‘ll be leaving the big smelly baits until there’s some water and colour in the river.
So maggots would work in my river conditions,but I’ll not be using them as not to be bothered with small stuff.

Ben,
I fish an extremely low stock ( barbel wise ) water but one that has plentiful roach , dace and big shoals of bream.
The barbel are not visible so it’s a case of ‘trapping’ rather than ‘hunting’.
My approach has been to prebait little and often with maize ( bigger the better) and, if I can afford it , big pellet, concentrating my efforts on a small number of swims however, I don’t bait up immediately before fishing.
My intention is to try to get fish to visit the swims regularly but , when I’m actually fishing , the only ‘bait’ is one with a hook in it.
On the business end is a hair rigged donkey choker halibut pellet wrapped in pellet paste( made myself by soaking 2mm pellet, the bait being at least the size of a tangerine if not bigger.
Usually I’ll add to the smell with 4mm pellet packed in a big feeder, or PVA bag.
I’ll recast ( 2 rods) every hour by which time depending on water temp and rate of flow , most of the paste has washed away.
Results have been pleasing averaging about 2 fish in 3 trips with half the fish being double figures.
Big bream, and the odd carp ( which I don’t mind) occasionally manage the bait but the method does seem to single out a passing barbel.
Interestingly, if there is a lot of small fish activity around the bait with the rod tops constantly rattling, a four foot twitch and screaming baitrunner will often ensue, resulting in a barbel which might have been attracted to the bait by the small fish action.Who knows!!

Last edited:
Back