• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Best 12ft low water/small barbel rod?

Especially with olive green whippings 😜

of course 😃 0444D2BD-80C9-42CC-9850-B8C0E14C2F74.jpeg

I’m still in love with my Torrix 1.25tc tip rod
If I stick in a 3 or 4 oz tip it’s an early season turbo nutter stopper
Just a joy to use on shoal barbel
Now with. 1.5 or 2 oz tip it’s the ultimate big chub Rod
Other than for a change I’m not sure when I’ll use my 1.5 or 1.75 tc rods
For bigger rivers/ big feeders it’s the chimera 3

THIS.

A number of Barbel have done me in snags on the lower Derwent this year. If anything I need something more brutish to stop the runs early and keep them out of the overhanging trees and rafts.

My current 12ft 2lb rods are capable but I need to step up the main line (12lb Tournament ST currently so only 0.30mm)

Last thing I'd want is a lighter rod.
I fish a particular swim on my syndicate where I’m casting under the far arch of a double arched bridge.
B7B99275-7820-4B4D-9717-3F927D9BDEE8.jpeg

I hook a lot of barbel under it and the key to landing them is to get them out of the arch within seconds of hooking them or they’ll have you out the back of the bridge or in the central snag.
So as you can imagine these fish are usually 11-14lb and they do their typical power bolt down stream and you’ve gotta have the Knackers to hold on, not give her an inch and completely trust your gear to hang on. Scary shit trust me and a proper rod is the key.
Nobody uses pokers nowadays but as you say you need power to stop them in certain situations.
I use 11ft 1.75 torrixs and they have the power in the butt section to stop big double figure fish instantly and turn them and get them out that arch.
Soft rods are great fun for playing fish on but sometimes you need a proper tool to do a proper job and it’s not always for casting weight

It's Christmas and he wants to buy himself a present....😁
Indeed :-D!

Thank you all for your great advise as usual!

I have the Chimera 3s but would prefer a slimmer blank, so will probably not go for the Chimera2s.

Indeed I like the FS Barbel tamer 1 3/4lbs a lot but as these get the most use in open water (totally agree that on smaller rivers you need stronger rods because as a rule there tend to be more snags).
Yet I am sure there are even better rods out there.

Will think about the FS barbel seeker for sure but also the Daiwas and maybe the Torrix.

If only I could compare them side by side. ..it would be an easy decision then I guess.

I fish a particular swim on my syndicate where I’m casting under the far arch of a double arched bridge.
View attachment 17308
I hook a lot of barbel under it and the key to landing them is to get them out of the arch within seconds of hooking them or they’ll have you out the back of the bridge or in the central snag.
So as you can imagine these fish are usually 11-14lb and they do their typical power bolt down stream and you’ve gotta have the Knackers to hold on, not give her an inch and completely trust your gear to hang on. Scary shit trust me and a proper rod is the key.
Nobody uses pokers nowadays but as you say you need power to stop them in certain situations.
I use 11ft 1.75 torrixs and they have the power in the butt section to stop big double figure fish instantly and turn them and get them out that arch.
Soft rods are great fun for playing fish on but sometimes you need a proper tool to do a proper job and it’s not always for casting weight
Richard, what's the purpose of the that round plate on your rod rest? Thanks.

View attachment 17308
That is definitely a 'bottle' swim - love it
Re the Torrix - the 1.25 is not a soft rod, it has loads of backbone - way more than the T/C suggests
I think Bob Gill mentioned it's something of an anomaly - more powerful than the 1.5 Torrix. Whatever the recipe is, it is truly an amazing piece of kit.
I have the 11' Chimera in 1.25tc and it is like chalk and cheese compared to the Torrix. In that swim above it would be as much use as a crocheted jonny.
For that swim, instinctively I'd use the Chimera 3s for the stopping power and the lunges when clamping down. - no question.
The Torrix would be tempting but as I have no concept of a 14lb barbel fight, I'd err on the side of caution :)

Re the Torrix - the 1.25 is not a soft rod, it has loads of backbone - way more than the T/C suggests
I think Bob Gill mentioned it's something of an anomaly - more powerful than the 1.5 Torrix. Whatever the recipe is, it is truly an amazing piece of kit.
I have the 11' Chimera in 1.25tc and it is like chalk and cheese compared to the Torrix. In that swim above it would be as much use as a crocheted jonny.
For that swim, instinctively I'd use the Chimera 3s for the stopping power and the lunges when clamping down. - no question.
The Torrix would be tempting but as I have no concept of a 14lb barbel fight, I'd err on the side of caution :)

I love my 1.25 Torrix and find it has plenty enough power lower down for large barbel and I've had lots of doubles on it to 14lb. It really is a lovely rod to use unless you want to cast big weights - but its not for that.

Not to pick a fault with that, Paul, (that 1.25tc Torrix sounds great) but this perception of power - given as the formula mass x acceleration, you ought to be able to measure the power of a fish, but the power of a rod? If the point at which a blanks gets stiffer is the point at which some anglers perceive an increase in the rods power, surely to a certain extent the stiffer the rod the better?
Paul Boote used to make a superb avon rod with a through action that had to be felt to be believed. That rod has an uncanny ability to play out fish with minimal time and on light lines. I'm sure it does that by staying in contact throughout the moment of a fish's surge. It's a little unnerving to see a rod bending through a great deal of it's length before you - that Paul Boote rod whilst playing a fish bends around the reel, actually feeling the seat moving around the reel - but once you get over that, surprisingly large fish have already been tamed.
I can't say I know, just my experience.

I have a few of these from years ago and made quite a few for others.
Torrix 12' 1.25 test with two tips - one standard with a sight painted tip, the other tip modified to take plug in taper quivers glass fibre or carbon.
Good as a near all round rod for chub and barbel.
Done similar conversions on other blanks example Avon, 11' Torrix etc.
Good option when recycling tip broken blanks.

IMG_5166crop 1200 up.jpg

Not to pick a fault with that, Paul, (that 1.25tc Torrix sounds great) but this perception of power - given as the formula mass x acceleration, you ought to be able to measure the power of a fish, but the power of a rod? If the point at which a blanks gets stiffer is the point at which some anglers perceive an increase in the rods power, surely to a certain extent the stiffer the rod the better?
Paul Boote used to make a superb avon rod with a through action that had to be felt to be believed. That rod has an uncanny ability to play out fish with minimal time and on light lines. I'm sure it does that by staying in contact throughout the moment of a fish's surge. It's a little unnerving to see a rod bending through a great deal of it's length before you - that Paul Boote rod whilst playing a fish bends around the reel, actually feeling the seat moving around the reel - but once you get over that, surprisingly large fish have already been tamed.
Hi Damian - good points, well made
I only have one Torrix and it's this 1.25 and I've only had it a year. I think the reason I rave about it so much is that it's the one rod that I have that I can take as close as I can to it's limits without every feeling out of control. That about sums it up.

Hi Damian - good points, well made
I only have one Torrix and it's this 1.25 and I've only had it a year. I think the reason I rave about it so much is that it's the one rod that I have that I can take as close as I can to it's limits without every feeling out of control. That about sums it up.
If I were to buy a Torrix, it would definitely be the 1.25, Paul. An excellent recommendation!

Sounds very similar to playing a Barbel on a cane Avon rod , bending that rod all the way round soon tires them out

I have a few of these from years ago and made quite a few for others.
Torrix 12' 1.25 test with two tips - one standard with a sight painted tip, the other tip modified to take plug in taper quivers glass fibre or carbon.
Good as a near all round rod for chub and barbel.
Done similar conversions on other blanks example Avon, 11' Torrix etc.
Good option when recycling tip broken blanks.

View attachment 17320
🙌😀

Back