• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Berkley trilene flourocarbon diameter.

Michael Weir

I thought I'd make up some hooklinks yesterday. I bought some trilene about a month ago in 8lb strain. As the old one has only about a metre left on it, I've been using it for short links Tenching in the spring. I wanted to start with size 16 hooks.
To my surprise I wasn't able to put the line through the eye twice, making the hair. I couldn't do it on a size 14 either. I have no 12's. I could on a 10. The 16's and 14's were guru mwg's.
I had no problems with the old spool. On checking the spools. The new one is 0.28 and the old one is only 0.22. Why is this? A quick look online shopping. 8lb is stated at 0.22. I have 6lb at 0.20.
I was thinking it's been labelled wrong. I couldn't find any trilene in 10lb so ended up buying Drennan 10lb. On checking the Drennan today it's 0.30.
What's going on do they supply breaking strains in different diameters?

Secondly which hooks have the biggest eyes?

I use the same make of hooks Michael. Guru MWG's in size 10 and 12. They are a great pattern of hook but there can be a problem with size 12's making the hook link. I have an almost scalpel sharp knife that I slice cut the hook link at a 45 degree angle to aid the 2nd thread thorough the hole. Although you probably already do this anyway.

Personally I'm loath to move away from Guru, as I've tried other makes, and have moved back due to their reliability

Berkeley have a reputation for re-rating their lines.

They did it with Big Game years ago - the stuff we were all using suddenly got much thinner…..

I think part of it was an attempt to harmonise with the EFFTA (or similar) European tackle trade association regulations on lines actually breaking at what it says on the spool.

I guess the latter doesn’t really apply to Fluoro as most of the ones I’ve tried break at LESS than what it states on the spool.

Back