• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Berkley Nanofil

David Clewer

Senior Member & Supporter
This stuff sounds like the bees knees in terms of its stated qualities of thinness and strength. Certainly a monofilament type line with the stretch free nature, and ultra low diameter, of braid sounds like a dream come true but has anyone had the chance to try it out yet? Can't imagine that the lighter strengths will be of any interest for barbel fishing but it is availble in 8, 10 & 12 lbs BS which certainly sound appropriate for barbel fishing but am interested to know if anyone has experimented with it yet and has any comments on its usefukness?

Uni Filament | Berkley Fishing

Dave

It's interesting stuff that I'm still reserving judgement on. It can be a complete PITA with regards to knots significantly impacting on the breaking strain. I wouldn't recommend anyone rush out and replace their existing line/braid. If you can be bothered to experiment with it, it may be rewarding. Equally, it might be a complete waste of time and money though.

Nanofil

I got a couple of samples from the local tackle shop to play about with.

It's really thin for the reported breaking strain and very strong...... until you try to knot it. I tried all the knots I could find and even made a few up but couldn't get one that gave an acceptable strenght for the BS of the line I was tying.

In fairness, the guys in the shop wouldn't sell me a spool until I'd tried it with the expected outcome as they can't find a good knot for it either (inluding the recommended 'double palomar'). So its not (no pun intended) for me!

I have it on a couple of spools.

On the plus side had a very low diameter for the breaking strain. It casts a long way and is supple. On big waters with strong flow the low diameter could be a plus and allows one to use less lead to hold at distance.

On the negative side, it is expensive and you have to use the correct knots. The main reason I would not recommend it universally is because I am not sure it is very abrasion resistant. On clear waters it should be OK but on those with rocky bottoms I would certainly look to standard mono.

Lastly, I prefer a more subtle colour than bright white of Nanofil such as the Daiwa Sensor in brown I normally choose.

I certainly wouldn,t trust it with expensive lures or anything else for that matter, tried every concievable knot, even the recommended one, breaks on the knot or where ever it fancied, cracked off casting with a lead already 5o mtrs out, snap, no obvious bedding in!!!
Another quality, unreliable Berkely product, from the same family as Vanish and whiplash, utter garbage!
peter

Not good

I used it this winter on a pin for trotting and on two reels I used for Perching.
If, and it is a big if you tie the correct knots very carefully you can get the breaking strains claimed but the slightest damage and it parts like cotton. This damage could come from catching a loose strand on a rough bit of skin (anyone remember Kryston multistrand). Everywhere is selling it as (for example) 0.12 mm diameter, it isn't anywhere near 0.12mm but is nearer 0.12 inches. It is white & blatant in clear water. Moving shot on it when used for trotting wrecks the line.
On my Perch rods, when all was well, it coped easily with rogue Pike on livebaits as a mainline.
It is not anywhere near as abrasion resistant as any decent nylon or braid for that matter, under tension braid blades or even a blunt blade cuts it easily.All that happens on my own very unscientific stone rubbing test is individual strands break or catch and once a couple of strands go it then breaks like cotton.
As a trotting line I am back to 4lb Fireline crystal and nylon on the perch reels.I would not use it in any way , too many downsides and I would not want to risk leaving lures in Pike and Zander as it cannot be trusted.
It was not designed for fishing it was designed as a binding material for concrete products I am led to believe from research on the web.Avoid.

Last edited:
Back