• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

beats for the Wye Trip

Marcin Kantor

Gents,
first of all apologise if this was discussed already. I am getting a trip booked for a week on the Wye around Ross-on-Wye in September this year. Coming from Eire, I want to make the most of it in terms of beats I will be fishing and I would appreciate some advice on beats really worth a go anywhere between Hereford and Monmouth. From my previous 2 trips I have selected my favourite beats I will try again, being Middle Hill Court, LHC, Courtfield, Aramstone. Still 3 days to fill and I would love to try some new stretches of water. Any pointers much appreciated

I did Fownhope 5 last year, beautiful beat and very wild. Need to be reasonably fit though as it's a bit of a hike to the better swims.

We also fished Fownhope 5 last year. Cardiac hill hard work, so travel light if fishing below the landslip, but plenty of barbel to be caught from the croys at the upstream end nearer the car park.

appreciate it gents. I see that WUF put some work into their website. A few hours of studying catch reports and I have much better idea where big catches can be produced vs better stamp of fish. Brilliant! :D

Hi Marcin the Wye is now very dependant on conditions,I feel it wasn't always so much the case.TBH any of the WandU beats fish well if there is a bit of colour,low and clear things can be very slow with action limited around dawn and dusk,same as anywhere really,you're going at the right time of year,just a question of catching it right!!!

We also fished Fownhope 5 last year. Cardiac hill hard work, so travel light if fishing below the landslip, but plenty of barbel to be caught from the croys at the upstream end nearer the car park.

The river was well on the rise when I fished it and my 5oz feeder just bounced along the bottom in those swims. The gents that fished the day before couldn't hack "cardiac hill" and fished there exclusively and blanked. I started there hoping to cash in on the bait from the previous day, nahdah for the time I managed to hold bottom. I went over the hill and it is just a hill tbf if your reasonably fit. The woods produced a good mix bag of Chub and Barbel for me going to 6.10lb. Was a good day.
I met a Barbel Society member from Essex that day who fished the Wye. Nice bloke forgot his name though, wonder if he is a member here to.

Hi Marcin the Wye is now very dependant on conditions,I feel it wasn't always so much the case.TBH any of the WandU beats fish well if there is a bit of colour,low and clear things can be very slow with action limited around dawn and dusk,same as anywhere really,you're going at the right time of year,just a question of catching it right!!!

I was lucky enough to get brilliant weather in 2014 and 2015, although water was low and clear in '15, as you said it was very quiet during the day, but dawn and dusk still produced the goods. My biggest so far was a 9lber so would absolutely love to hit a double this year. Hoping Courtfield can produce, as well as Fownhope beats. couldn't do last year trip as our baby arrived but she will be a year old in August and that's plenty old enough for a barbel trip imo :D:D

The river was well on the rise when I fished it and my 5oz feeder just bounced along the bottom in those swims. The gents that fished the day before couldn't hack "cardiac hill" and fished there exclusively and blanked. I started there hoping to cash in on the bait from the previous day, nahdah for the time I managed to hold bottom. I went over the hill and it is just a hill tbf if your reasonably fit. The woods produced a good mix bag of Chub and Barbel for me going to 6.10lb. Was a good day.
I met a Barbel Society member from Essex that day who fished the Wye. Nice bloke forgot his name though, wonder if he is a member here to.

We were there for a day in August when the river was low and clear and actually had more barbel from the top end than from below. That said, you're on the outside of a sweeping bend at the top, so I can understand it being more tricky when there's extra water coming down. You're right about the hill Stephen, but it was hot and sunny and I was carrying a tad too much gear. 60+ but just one brief pause before the summit though :)

Marcin,
I did a week last September staying at Kerne cottage. Fished stans at aramstone, old harp directly below aramstone, I believe this year there's more to go at as the beat has been extended a couple of meadows below the bridge ,also had a day on lower bishopswood, where I had the best fish of the trip 10lb. 2oz, most productive day was at Kerne bridge fishing the pool. 9 fish to 9lb all over 7 lb, snag city though. . Back for a few days in July and a week in September, can't wait

Marcin,
I did a week last September staying at Kerne cottage. Fished stans at aramstone, old harp directly below aramstone, I believe this year there's more to go at as the beat has been extended a couple of meadows below the bridge ,also had a day on lower bishopswood, where I had the best fish of the trip 10lb. 2oz, most productive day was at Kerne bridge fishing the pool. 9 fish to 9lb all over 7 lb, snag city though. . Back for a few days in July and a week in September, can't wait

Lovely mate, thanks for that. Fished with stan both my previous trips. Funnily in 2014 got around 15 fish on the whirly pool having twice that many bites, and the following year not a touch there but for some nice fish around mid way to the old bridge. Haven't considered the other beat but will look into this

I can recommend holme lacey 3 (WUF) for numbers of fish that are (or at least were) willing to feed pretty well all day, mostly small around the 4-5 bracket, head to the bottom of the beat and there is a lovely long stretch with plenty of overhanging/fallen trees, the guilly here is very nice chap who will point you in the right direction, if the water is high I like the creases off the salmon croys right under the hut at the very top of the beat.
For size I would recommend Courtfield (WUF), generally speaking this beat is very quiet even at dawn but fairly reliably kicks off at 4-5pm ish when the canoe activity starts to die, not as many fish as holme lacey or wyebank etc but the average size is up 6-7lb ish and still a fair few. I always favoured wading out onto the end of the croys below the meadow section here but the slower deeper water nearer the carpark in the meadow section is worth ago earlier in the day, then move to the croys in the afternoon evening.
Both sections require you to bring a lot of bait, holme lacey the most, courtfield I tend to save it until the late afternoon as you can waste a lot of bait going hard through the morning/early afternoon when the fish just aren't that willing to feed.

I can recommend holme lacey 3 (WUF) for numbers of fish that are (or at least were) willing to feed pretty well all day, mostly small around the 4-5 bracket, head to the bottom of the beat and there is a lovely long stretch with plenty of overhanging/fallen trees, the guilly here is very nice chap who will point you in the right direction, if the water is high I like the creases off the salmon croys right under the hut at the very top of the beat.
For size I would recommend Courtfield (WUF), generally speaking this beat is very quiet even at dawn but fairly reliably kicks off at 4-5pm ish when the canoe activity starts to die, not as many fish as holme lacey or wyebank etc but the average size is up 6-7lb ish and still a fair few. I always favoured wading out onto the end of the croys below the meadow section here but the slower deeper water nearer the carpark in the meadow section is worth ago earlier in the day, then move to the croys in the afternoon evening.
Both sections require you to bring a lot of bait, holme lacey the most, courtfield I tend to save it until the late afternoon as you can waste a lot of bait going hard through the morning/early afternoon when the fish just aren't that willing to feed.

Great info George mate and quite aligned with my thinking. scheduled two days on courtfield and one on HL3 My biggest barbel at 9lbs came from Home Fishery (Lowe Courtfield) booked from Adam Fisher but it was a bloody long walk, which I had to do 4 times because my memory isn't the same anymore :eek: :eek: Anyway, would absolutely love to get my first ever double, hence booked two days on Courtfield. Seen HL3 can be good for numbers. HL4 can apparently produce a bigun as well, but I wonder is the track really suitable for 4x4s only. Don't quite fancy 650 walk to the nearest swim... :eek: Seven Sisters produced 11lber to my friend 2 years ago, but other than that I have no info of how reliable the beat is, any idea?

White Lion Ross on Wye

Hi in July me and my son will be going to the white Lion can you recommend any day ticket areas we are there for 4 days thanks Gerald

Marvin, I have never fished seven sisters so couldn't tell you about its reliability, but I can confirm there are definitely doubles in courtfield, although I have never had one over ten and a quarter so not 'big' doubles, but there are a few fish that beat 10, and there will be some bigger in there.

Back