• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Be Carefull out there

Andrew Venn

All,
with all this welcome rain I think its worth remembering that "no fish is worth a life" follow some simple advice that might save your life.
Tell someone where your going.
Go with a mate
Take some strong rope to help you up and down the slippery bank.
Take some dry clothes keep them in the car you will be surprised at how good dry sock's feel after slipping in the edge of a cold river :eek: (been there done that)

But above all just don't take a risk, fishing is about enjoyment and however good the flood swim looks ask yourself "will I be safe" if you hesitate then the answers no.

Good tips sir but, if you'll permit me, I'll add one more - if you have even the slightest doubt, STAY AT HOME.

And I can't stress "don't take a risk" enough - one of my favourite swims on the Bristol Avon basically becomes a death trap outside of Summer and, unless it has been exceptionally dry during the winter where the ground is pretty much as hard and dry in January/February as it is during a hot July/August, I don't even bother trying.

Be my guest

By all means add away I'm sure the wealth of experience on here will add some more tips to stay safe.

Undercut riverbank is worth considering. I've noticed plenty of bank on the H. Avon that has been weakened by cattle and is ready to collapse .
Some of the venues I fish are low lying and often waders are needed to access the river when bank high,...always best to know the swims intimately,. otherwise don't risk it. You won't notice that big crack in the bank when its covered with a few inches of flood water.

I kind of think you deserve to fall in if you go in this weather! :D

Wouldn't even entertain it in the summer.

I kind of think you deserve to fall in if you go in this weather! :D

Wouldn't even entertain it in the summer.

Bit harsh !! but I do see your point. It is true though we will try to scramble down the banks etc in the summer forgetting that a downpour will render them as good as they are now.

Back