• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Be Careful Out There!

Five years ago whilst barbel fishing a very enclosed, no way out but jump into the river swim on a west London river, I was visited by a mid fifties fruit-loop. I could see trouble coming as soon as his conversation went from trying-too-hard "I go fishing" affable, to faltering, to borderline incoherence, and quietly opened the Buck lock-knife I had in my jacket pocket...

Then a walker came along, a man in his late 60s whom I recognized as a regular fisher of the river from years and years ago. He stopped, then sensing I was in trouble, shouldered his way into the swim, stood beside me and began engaging me in "How are you doing?" fishing talk. The fruit-loop stumbled off within thirty seconds. Lucky for me. Lucky for him too - I'd've gutted him.

Five years ago whilst barbel fishing a very enclosed, no way out but jump into the river swim on a west London river, I was visited by a mid fifties fruit-loop. I could see trouble coming as soon as his conversation went from trying-too-hard "I go fishing" affable, to faltering, to borderline incoherence, and quietly opened the Buck lock-knife I had in my jacket pocket...

Then a walker came along, a man in his late 60s whom I recognized as a regular fisher of the river from years and years ago. He stopped, then sensing I was in trouble, shouldered his way into the swim, stood beside me and began engaging me in "How are you doing?" fishing talk. The fruit-loop stumbled off within thirty seconds. Lucky for me. Lucky for him too - I'd've gutted him.
wasn't levi bellfield was it???
only met him once, orrible chap, hope he rots.:mad:

give him to the the poor mans wife, daughters, sons etc. hell never sit on a bench again.

Thats what should be done Neil, unfortunatly we are too bloody civilised :(

People like that should be strung up ... BRING IT BACK ! even if the detterent factor doesn't work, at least we get rid of one, and much much cheaper too !

On the other hand, that fella is going to be fearing a knife in his gut or a razor put to his throat for the rest of his life - somebody, sometime, will have him.

What can you do? Story in the news today of 4 guys caught breaking into a house, 59 year old man and his 27 year old son catch them, struggle ensues, one of the robbers is stabbed and later dies, the man and his son are arrested for murder, presumably because they exercised more than the "reasonable force" the law allows for.

So in theory if someone breaks into your house and doesn't threaten to harm you but calmly starts walking out with your possessions you can't lay a finger on them because if they aren't being violent towards you then you can't be violent towards them as that would be unreasonable force! So all you can do is call the police and watch them!?

Cameron has claimed he's going to "clarify" the Law in this area but I'm not going to hold my breath.

Cheers,

SF

On the other hand, that fella is going to be fearing a knife in his gut or a razor put to his throat for the rest of his life - somebody, sometime, will have him.

Apparently he yawned as he left the dock, clearly bored by his court room appearance. Doubt he'll be to worried about any impending knife attacks either. Three (free)square meals a day, segregated security (nonce wing, and all that), sociology/phsycology courses (or whatever else takes his fancy), gym membership, playstations, tv's ..... yeah I'd probably yawn too. One can only live in hope that somewhere some nutter is sharpening up his shank.

Good God Paul,

Its funny how you build a picture of someone from what they are writing on a forum site,now with mentions of knifes and razor blades........are you in fact Edward Sissor Hands ?

Take care out there !!

Good God Paul,

Its funny how you build a picture of someone from what they are writing on a forum site,now with mentions of knives and razor blades........are you in fact Edward Sissor Hands ?

Take care out there !!

What can you do? Story in the news today of 4 guys caught breaking into a house, 59 year old man and his 27 year old son catch them, struggle ensues, one of the robbers is stabbed and later dies, the man and his son are arrested for murder, presumably because they exercised more than the "reasonable force" the law allows for.

So in theory if someone breaks into your house and doesn't threaten to harm you but calmly starts walking out with your possessions you can't lay a finger on them because if they aren't being violent towards you then you can't be violent towards them as that would be unreasonable force! So all you can do is call the police and watch them!?

Cameron has claimed he's going to "clarify" the Law in this area but I'm not going to hold my breath.

Cheers,

SF

the man who died is (was) already on police bail for burgling homes.
this time his luck ran out when he went into one english mans castle too many.....will other burgalars learn from this....i doubt it, todays news......tomorrows chip paper.....:cool:

Richard Longmuir wrote:

Good God Paul,

Its funny how you build a picture of someone from what they are writing on a forum site,now with mentions of knives and razor blades........are you in fact Edward Sissor Hands ?

Nope. I'm a very easy-going peace & love hippie (who never was a hippie) -too easy-going my long-time pals tell me. However, when I get messed with (or fish in places where I know danger lurks and it goes and finds me), then...

Paul,

Thank goodness for that as my initial impression was that you the sort of bloke who I could sit in the pub with,drink too much ale and talk alot of nonsence(evan if I couldnt always understand what you were on about!!!)

Paul,

Thank goodness for that as my initial impression was that you the sort of bloke who I could sit in the pub with,drink too much ale and talk alot of nonsence(evan if I couldnt always understand what you were on about!!!)

Plenty of those round my way (and probably yours) - Cross of St. George on the house, tattoos on their arms, back, chest, neck and what passes for a brain, fine upstanding true patriots...

Plenty of those round my way (and probably yours) - Cross of St. George on the house, tattoos on their arms, back, chest, neck and what passes for a brain, fine upstanding true patriots...

There is clearly more to Barbeltalk than talking about barbel.

Perhaps there is a need for some more moderation and possible withdrawal of thread as happened to another recent ' debate '

Such fun, dearest ones.

As ever

Hugo

Back