• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Bass pro excel

Chris Thomson

Hi , im on holiday in orlando and went into the Bass Pro shop there, omg how big!!! Every type of clothing imaginable for outdoor use, apart from that they had Bass Pro Excel in 1200m for 12 dollars!! My question is ive heard the quality has dropped on this so was wondering if anyone could confirm or deny this before i grab a few spools when i go back? Thanks for any feedback

I use the so called 'new improved version' in 12lb green colour and its bomb proof. Doing my own tests at home, the knot strength went above 13.8lb. Also the 10lb green version broke at over 11lb; neither has let me down on the bank and I've been using it for a number of years.

I've had issues with the clear versions breaking below stated BS, so I'd avoid these. I'll certainly be stocking up on the green version again next spring.

Hi , im on holiday in orlando and went into the Bass Pro shop there, omg how big!!! Every type of clothing imaginable for outdoor use, apart from that they had Bass Pro Excel in 1200m for 12 dollars!! My question is ive heard the quality has dropped on this so was wondering if anyone could confirm or deny this before i grab a few spools when i go back? Thanks for any feedback

One of my favourite places in the world. Can't answer the question re the Bass Pro Excel as I stick with Berkely big game but I've had lots of Bass-Pro terminal tackle over the years and it's always been as good if not better than some of the European brands, at a fraction of the cost. As you mention the size of the place is off the scale, they are the biggest and I was told Bass fishing in the US has a bigger revenue than Golf - cannot imagine they will sell anything substandard under their own brand?
Their own brand clothing is bulletproof, and providing you don't mind the redneck look is excellent value for money even with current $/£ rates.
Have fun and buy an extra suitcase.

As above, the line is great (it does not just snap, but stretches for a good while beforehand, giving you a chance to pull free from snags - as well as land that fish which just keeps surging) - and you are in the right place for value!! It is an amazing shop, as are most of their outlets, you can browse for hours and pick up some bargains to last a long time!

Back