• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

barrels

Gary Wagstaff

which way to you boys hair rig them long ways or side ways .
i rig them long ways no had much joy side ways

Tried both but generally use a single lengthways,I think it looks more natural amongst the freebies from the PVA bag,works O.K

Please excuse my ignorance... what are "barrels"

David
They're just Barrel shaped boilies David, you can make them yourself, i use a Gardener rolling kit, so you roll a 10mm sausage then placeing the sausage on a 14 or 15 mm corrugated rolling block will produce 10 mm barrels, they will be slightly concave in shape ( actually the opposite of a true barrel shape ) if you make the sausage small enough or use a big enough diameter rolling block you can lose the concave shape, and they will be straight.
You can also make cushion shapes by just pressing the sausages on the block without rolling them by moving the top section back and forth. You can also make disc shapes by rolling standard boillies of whatever size you wish, and then pressing as many as you like in one go with a flat board as hard as you feel necessary, this is obviously before boiling. They're particularly good, if you're fishing a bit of a pacey flow, as the freebies don't tend to roll down river so readily.

Please excuse my ignorance... what are "barrels"

David

barrels👆

Last edited:
Thanks chaps, being somewhat of a stick in the mud, I have never used a "boilie" in my life , and only ever use Halibut Pellets which I considered a new innovation some years ago :p as a change bait from Spam.

Ian, your making those sweetie shaped things sounds like far too much work for me !

I have made halibut pellet paste, which was quite exciting, and mixed it up with ground crushed hemp... and grated spam, though. Worked a treat.

Seeing as I have been targetting Barbel since Alan Smart owned Topcliffe Wier Pool, I dont think thats bad going at all . I try as best I can to avoid most things that are "Carp "orientated , or originate from the bait kitchens of commercial manufacturers,unfortunatley Hali Pellets seem to dominate most rivers these days and cant really be avoided if you want to have a good chance of getting fish on the bank.

David.

I think they are more commonly called dumbell`s as Ive never heard them described as barrels ?

Basically the same thing Gerry, but your right more commonly as dumbells.Never gone out and bought any.
Just trimming down a boilie makes sense.

Back