• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Barbelling around Manchester...

Guy Leeder

Having just relocated from the other side of the Pennines, I will be looking for somewhere local(ish) to spend the winter barbelling.

Got a couple of venues sussed for the spring/summer carping, but not up to speed with regards river venues and the resident barbel stocks.

Fished the Trent exclusively my entire life, so looking forward to a change of scenery.

Any infomation would be gladly recieved, PM if prefered.

More than happy to share my wealth of knowledge from the other side of the country, if required.

I made a similar move from Nottingham to North Manchester around 6 years ago and thought my good barbelling days were over having left the Trent behind. Thankfully they actually improved as i got stuck in a rut on the Trent lobbing feeders out - the rivers around here have much more variety and require greater effort to ensure success. South Manchester has the Goyt and Tame, plenty of info on the various forums regarding these - North Manchester has the Irwell, most of the barbel in here are about 3" long - one for the future perhaps!
A lot of Manchester lads make the trip north to the Ribble and with a couple of day ticket stretches either side of the M6 it's worth having a trip up there.

Thanks for the input lads.

I'm in Didsbury, so South of the city centre.

I'm not looking for specific stretch info, as I'm more than happy do do the leg work myself, just an idea of rivers, tickets and what sort of distance I will be travelling.

I'd much rather be away from the crouds.

Are there any other sites on the net I may find out a little more about the Goyt & Tame in particular?

Lymm anglers have got a couple of stretches of the Dane just outside Holmes Chapel (M6 J18) Although it's a small river there are some decent barbel. The Ribble is well worth a look and holds some great fish.

Back