• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

barbel weigh sling

could anyone recommend a weigh sling for barbell/chub looking for a foldable one rather than a carp type one.many thanks john

weigh mat

hi Gerry this seems ideal managed to get one for £17
so well pleased.thanks again for replying.all the best
john

Happy to help John
and I hope you get some wackers to weigh in it
good luck

cheap but decent alternative is a big polyester shopping bag but wet it 1st:)
Never thought of that got some old shopping bags here
harrods_zpslnfc9kha.jpg

Hi John
I've accumulated umpteen slings and mats over the years but my favourite barbel/chub sling-mat is still an old Nash combo which I would love to replace with a new equivalent.
https://barbel.co.uk/site/vbulletin/forum/members/picture.php?albumid=490&pictureid=5899
The beauty of the design is that a fish doesn't have to be transferred for weighing and can be cradled back into the water in situ.
Manufacturers seem to have gone for combie mat/ slings designed to carry rods and nets and have forgotten that most just want something practical to strap on a bag.

bloody ,ell Dave, i remember using old hession sacks when i 1st figured out how to catch them shadows :D

JW,.. I have still got a 36" fine mesh pike weigh net/sling brought from Trev Moss 1980'ish which is still sound and will accommodate any barbel as well as being able to stash away easily.
Most of my mates said that I was wasting my dosh as all my fish could be weighed in a pole cup!!:eek::D

large plastic carrier bag works great.

weigh in the landing net, and deduct the weight of the fish. This causes much less stress to the fish, with much less handling.

weigh in the landing net, and deduct the weight of the fish. This causes much less stress to the fish, with much less handling.

Got to agree with Colin. My landing net is one of the rubberised mesh jobbies and I have a quick release gizmo which allows me to net, rest, bank, weigh and release all in very quick time with hardly any handling at all. It's only if it warrants a picture (not vey often :mad:) does it actually come out of the net :D

I use a rather tatty Nash beanie sling.Dont think they are made any more so if any kind person would like to sell a good conditioned one for a fair price please pm me.They double as a matt,sling and carry all .
Ken

Back