• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Barbel venues for holiday suggestions.

Eddie Bray

Senior Member & Supporter
My Wife has suggested that due to COVID it is not really the time for arranging foreign holidays as we cannot depend on either the trip going ahead or having to endure lockdown on our return.

She has suggested that we can have a little trip around the country staying in B&Bs with every other day a fishing day. So I thought I might take the opportunity to visit places I wouldn't normally go to and there is not better place to ask than here..

So I would like a few suggestions, I am thinking of one day somewhere on the Tidal Trent and possibly some from the Wye, Derwent, Dove and Ribble, but other suggestions are welcomed.

Would like to be going late August/early September and for 9 days in total travelling up on the Saturday and travelling back on the following Sunday.

I would need suggestions for Areas that are fishable on a Day Ticket and that I can purchase beforehand and would prefer if there was something for us to do on the non-fishing days in the vicinity, (at a push I may be able to stretch it out for another day or two, but don't want to push my luck too far at the moment).

All help gratefully received.

Hi Eddie, No day tickets on the River Dove. I would of thought the Wye would be your best bet for a barbel or two and a beautiful part of the country 👍

Throop Dorset stour day ticket stay in Christchurch lots of b&b’s you’ve also got the royalty day ticket as well to fish both flow into Christchurch harbour
New forest right on the door step ,also situated right on the coast lots to see and do.

I just stayed in the green man in Fownhope between Hereford and Ross-On-Wye. I paid 80 quid for a night in the hotel with breakfast, well worth it for nice room, and a Wye and Usk stretch, fownhope 5 is walking distance, but the hotel isn’t on the river. There are other w&u stretches 5 minutes drive away, lovely and quiet but pricey like the other w&u fishing. Couldn’t tell you what else there is to do in the area, Hereford is about 20 minutes away in the car.

You could go to Oliver’s cider farm if you’re there on a Saturday if the place is still open. Really nice dry cider they do

Throop Dorset stour day ticket stay in Christchurch lots of b&b’s you’ve also got the royalty day ticket as well to fish both flow into Christchurch harbour
New forest right on the door step ,also situated right on the coast lots to see and do.
Thanks Robert, been in the Avon and the Stour :) Never really got to grips with those rivers.

Tidal Trent now sorted with my mate so no need now to go so far East.

Looking at 2 days on Wye, up to the Ribble and maybe back towards the Derwent.

Jon, that's very good of you and many thanks for your offer, I can make any dates pretty much (lovely being retired) (youngest Daughters wedding 1st June 2nd attempt, talked her out of the 20th) but will have to see when my Mate is available (or not).

Back