• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Barbel up close and personal

Well that was a Marathon, went thru summer and winter :rolleyes: It was good to see some familiar BA swims, and wow those Ouse fish, Adams Mill I take it? All changed now, both the Ouse and Bristol Avon.

Thanks, I had not seen these before. Watched the first last night so tonight's viewing will be the second one. Got me thinking about a few things for next summer as well.

Just watched both and got some great tips. Not sure if my missus would be impressed if i took a dinghy out with me with 20 foot of floodwater in the Ouse though! :eek: (Stuart does states he knows the fishery very well though, and is clearly a very experienced angler)
The gadget he uses to compress the pellets reminds me of the "Pellet Cone" match anglers have been using for some time now (Just a tad larger :p)

The dingy bit is my local stretch and I use waders but the river to the untrained look looks 300 meters across when fully flooded.

Definitely going to spend more time in the summer observing the fish and resisting the urge to get in a swim and chuck a bait in as soon as I get to the fishery.

Finding a venue where I could feed and observe barbel close in is something I am looking for next season. Guess I can cross off the Yorkshire Ouse then! :p Wharfe and nidd more likely! ;)

Watched part 1, summer. Just started watching part 2, winter. Guess what, their both using, possibly the greatest budget Shimano 5000 size reel ever made. The fabulous RE. I have one, and even though i now prefer my 3500b's, ( bomb proof ), i would never ever sell it. :) If you come across one, or more, on ebay or anywhere else at a good price, grab it, you won't be disappointed. :)

Watched part 1, summer. Just started watching part 2, winter. Guess what, their both using, possibly the greatest budget Shimano 5000 size reel ever made. The fabulous RE. I have one, and even though i now prefer my 3500b's, ( bomb proof ), i would never ever sell it. :) If you come across one, or more, on ebay or anywhere else at a good price, grab it, you won't be disappointed. :)

Great reels. Got mine serviced earlier this season at felindre and it's like new.

I have 3 5010's and a RE , they are all cracking reels, but many would argue that the clutch is not so smooth as some later models.

some cracking Ouse fish there, I wonder if we'll ever see the likes of that again on any of our small rivers ? I did think that the fish were being kept out the water much longer than I would and given a recent thread on here re brain damage it does make you think.

Big PVA bags

The Giant PVA pag was impressive!! :eek:

Those big PVA bags are used for putting soiled dirty linen in, such as bed sheets. Any nursing home or hosp use them. They used to cost about £3:00 for about six bags about four foot square. You have to make sure you get the low water melt ones as some won't melt in cold water. I was fishing with Guy last night on the Thames, he is still as keen as ever.

It would be great to have another dvd from Stuart and Guy....fantastic content that put plenty of old wives tails to bed.

Stuart is still producing stuff he has a business that does it I think. I'm pretty sure I spotted him on Matt Hayes video. Also I think he did the latest Trakker video A week on bramble mere.

Back