• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Barbel Special

Ian Hugo Arnott

I have just been re reading an old copy of Angling Today from January 2007, which was a Barbel Special.

There are several articles on 'The Traveller' and Adams Mill

In another article

Pete Reading wrote

" There is an unfortunate trend towards rods which are too stiff for barbel, often called flood rods because they are supposed to be needed to chuck out heavy weights, and rods with a test curve of over two pounds are often advertised. Most situations do not need such meaty weapons, and I do worry about the combination of heavy rods and braided mainline, which must have the potential t nflect serious damage in experienced hands..........."

Discuss

Regards

Hugo

Last edited:
I think as with most things, they have the ability to cause damage but are only as dangerous after the person wielding them

Fillet of a fenny snake,
In the caldron boil and bake;
Eye of newt, and toe of frog,
Wool of bat, and tongue of dog,
Adder's fork, and blind-worm's sting,
Lizard's leg, and owlet's wing,—
For a charm of powerful trouble,
Like a hell-broth boil and bubble.

You are a wicked man Mr Cudgudgeon.

I have just been re reading an old copy of Angling Today from January 2007, which was a Barbel Special.

There are several articles on 'The Traveller' and Adams Mill

In another article

Pete Reading wrote

" There is an unfortunate trend towards rods which are too stiff for barbel, often called flood rods because they are supposed to be needed to chuck out heavy weights, and rods with a test curve of over two pounds are often advertised. Most situations do not need such meaty weapons, and I do worry about the combination of heavy rods and braided mainline, which must have the potential t nflect serious damage in experienced hands..........."

Discuss

Regards

Hugo

Hi Ian

I personally don't like to use anything over 2lb. I usually use my pair of Harrison Torix 1.75Lb for most situations and these have served me very well. Anything over 2lb for Barbel is a bit overkill and if used in the wrong hands (like any rod) can be dangerous. I personally always use braid, but no more than 12Lb with a 8-10Lb fluro hook link, this will land even the biggest fish as long as you know what you are doing. The main thing is, it all comes down to the experience of the angler and the need to use balanced and safe tackle.

Thanks

Matt

Horses for courses. I usually use much lighter gear on the Yorkshire rivers than I do on the Trent. Having said that I think it's better/less dangerous to be overgunned than under.

Dave

Horses for courses. I usually use much lighter gear on the Yorkshire rivers than I do on the Trent. Having said that I think it's better/less dangerous to be overgunned than under.

Dave

Quite right Dave, on the stretches of the Avon I fish i could easily use 3 different test curves from 1.5 to 2.25 depending on the conditions. Big bloke or not, just cause his name is Pete Reading doesn't make him right! I'd like to see him fish some of the flood water stretches I fish with his 1.75 tc rods!!

I use nothing less than 2.75 and also use braided mainline in 33lb with a 25lb amnesia leader. Iv not had an issue as yet ;)

I use nothing less than 2.75 and also use braided mainline in 33lb with a 25lb amnesia leader. Iv not had an issue as yet ;)

Victory by superior fire power! You're an animal Wayne!! :D

I use a 2.25 as standard and have had the cork creaking on more than one occasion when putting the brakes on a big fish using 12lb mono. It bends beautifully. I don't use braid because I don't like it - a personal thing.

The wrong tools will always pose problems in the hands of an unskilled user.

Victory by superior fire power! You're an animal Wayne!! :D

I use a 2.25 as standard and have had the cork creaking on more than one occasion when putting the brakes on a big fish using 12lb mono. It bends beautifully. I don't use braid because I don't like it - a personal thing.

Lol. Not too sure about that Andrew hahaha. I think a lot also depends on what rivers were fishing. I said same about braid then i bought some and if im honest i wont go back. However a 5-6ft leader is a must without a doubt :)

In that Barbel Special edition there was a great deal of discussion on the topic of overfeeding with boilies and pellets.

Tony Miles also wrote that he did not see the point in fishing for the same big fish once he had caught it, just to gain yet another p.b. or record, once the poor creature had been fed even more goodies.

Shades of Bertie on the Medway when the circus was in town!

Discuss!

:cool:

Hugo

Back