• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Barbel society

Jeff Collins

No Longer a Member
Never joined this before, what are the actual benefits of this? I see you have to pay to join, then pay to fish their areas. How are the fisheries they own? Are they busy?

Your help in this matter is appreciated

JC

Many years ago I toyed with the idea of joining but then I thought, what's the point?

Jeff, you can obviously look on the BS website as Derek suggested and a quick use of the search button on this forum and I suspect you will have all you need.

I haven't fished their bit of the Trent but by all accounts it as fished incredibly well over the last few seasons. I have fished Pixham a few times and really like the stretch. I even caught a few barbel.

Never joined this before, what are the actual benefits of this? I see you have to pay to join, then pay to fish their areas. How are the fisheries they own? Are they busy?

JC

The fisheries are really good, sutton trent is a brilliant fishery, when ive been ive never seen more than half a dozen fishing and its a huge stretch.
pixham is also very good and very picturesque again another long stretch, last time i fishedit i ws the only one on, its not always like that though i would imagine.
bransford is a stunning fishery, not fished it for a few years but im told theres still plentyof barbel about if you put the effort it.
Its def worth joiining for the fisheries although there an extra fee.
As for benefits not sure there are any, you get out what you put in, sit idlely by and its prob not worth it.
i like the social side of it, met some good lads, had some great fish ins and ended up with some of the worst hangovers known to man, try it if you dont like it, you dont have to renew

Jez.

JC

You should go to the next BS meeting Jeff, I find them enjoyable, and always plenty of good speakers, along with plenty of slides of Barbel. Surprised you are in the dark about them, they have Pixham on your doorstep.

Jeff if as you say you keep your self to your self Then as Graham as already stated its not for you .

I have been a member of the BS for a few years now and have meet some great guys at meetings and on the river bank .

I have also in the past had a fishery permit for Pixham which you are allowed to night fish . I am also a member of the BAA and you can only night fish if you get a night permit first which costs £10 :mad:

The BS has 3 fishery's and they all allow night fishing ?

I used to be a member and mainly fished Clifton, on the Severn. I don't think they have it now though. Also fished the Teme, Bransford I think, not a bad stretch and as one or two have pointed out, you can night fish most of their waters. Not sure if they still do the magazine but on the whole I think the BS is worth joining if you do a fair bit of barbel fishing.

:eek: Who stole your login credentials Tony?

I know Pete has retired from commitee after years of sterling work and there has been a number of changes to it but....

Has there been any outcomes on the

1/ Teme survey/ phd work

2/ The spawning survey.

Quite a few people contributed outside the BS with reports and financial help so it would be fair to get an answer.

Back