• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

barbel size

Robert Richbell

Question for the clever ones on here... my belief is that male Barbel are smaller than female, the question is how large do males get? I recently had a Barbel @6-7lb that was stocked around 10 miles away in 2001. My assumption is that its a male and at 10-11 years old this weight would be " normal"?

Isn't there an EU law that prohibits sexual discrimination when referring to barbel size? After all, it can't be good for the boys to know they're always smaller than the girls. :)

Mike,it can be a bit difficult with the human race these days, so I would have no chance with a fish...

Dave

Richard...The proper definition is 'Vertically Challenged'! although with a fish, it is possibly 'Horizontally Challenged'!
Robert..Just like humans, you can have small female barbel of 3-9lbish more or less that do not grow on to double figures or massive sizes at any time during their lifespan. Although you may read older (and other copied/re-hashed new books) scientific based books regarding description/size/weight of species, they are not necessarily correct or apply in this day and age...in my opinion!

Last edited:
I totally agree with Ray. I well known Barbel angler told me a few years ago that male Barbel do not grow bigger than 7lbs, I argued and would to this day that the same was said in the 1970's when female Barbel only grew to around 14lb but now we have female barbel around the 20lb mark I can see no reason why we would not have 10lb males.

In the tench world for example, where males and females are easy to distinguish males have increased in size in the same proportions as females, waters producing 13 or 14lb females are producing 8lb plus males.

hi people,
one caught this season of the dove at 10 - 13 so i was told,milk running from him,
regards jim

Back