• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Barbel Rods

Chris Chadwick

I have been fishing the Tidal Trent, i am looking to buy two new rods i have been advised to get the Korum Neoteric twin tip.
Has anybody got any reviews of these or any other ideas.:D

Excellent!

Or Wychwood Maximisers 13' 2/2.5lb tc twin tips nice looking rod as well.

My dear old things,

Might I recommend...

A Barder Barbus MaximusII

and

Bruce and Walker's Hexagraph Avons.

Expensive but worth the money.

As ever

Hugo

How about a penn beachcaster?! 10oz for a river, blimey! I dont even use that in the Bristol Channel.

the Neoterics should be fine. I own a pair and use them almost exlusively for all my gravel pit tenching, small water carping and flood water barbelling (with the 2.2 tip). Good all-round rods, that'll cope with most situations.

A vote for the Maximisers from me. Excellent rods, versatile and well finished and haven't had any problems when using them on the tidal.

Dave

a vote for the Korum neoterics here,

Had mine for a few years now, love them, wouldnt use any other rod for barbel or small water carp fishing.

love my korum, but its much heavier than a tfg 1.5lb test barbel rod i have so i find myself using that for msl work on the middle severn. having said that the korum is a brilliant rod, and if i fished with two rods i would get a second.

If you want to spoil yourself a matching pair of Hand Built Torrix rods, they are beautiful, have plenty of power and a joy to use. I have a 1.75 TC (River Wye) and a 1.5 TC (Kennet and close in). They are very special. Maybe a 2 TC for the Trent.

I'm using an Evo Concept 330 Pike rod this season...
1.75lb TC and hefty in weight which is what I want...

The Evo Concept Barbel was 1.5lb TC although the same action and a little lighter but decided on the beefier rod...

If its just a pair of rods you need outright for the TT then you wont go far wrong with the Fox flood 2.75 12ft or the Fox 2.75 15ft, or the wychwood maximiser twintip, i dont know much about the korum twin tip, but on a very personal note i wouldnt touch a Torrix 2lb as it doesnt have anything in the butt section for heavy feeders and will be out gunned as soon as either a big fish is on or some flood, they are a beautiful rod butt imo not suited for the Trent. Thats not taking anything away from the torrix flood at around 2.25 or 2.5 cant seem to remember, heard some good reports from these, but from the horses mouth only built for chucking 6oz so anything over and that's your concern. So in a nutshell get something thats got some grunt in the butt section for when you need it.

Jon

Harrison do a huge range of blanks , you can then pick a blank that suits your need and get a rod made up , not as expensive as you might think . BFW's Bob Gill is a highly respected rod builder . I use a chap called Chas Burns [ Burns built rods ] who has a shop called'' hooks and tackle'' in York . He is a fine rod builder and a mine of info , he even puts up with my daft questions about refurbishing well past their sell by date cane rods . Give him a call 01904 610357

Back