• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Barbel Rod for use with c'pins

Status
Not open for further replies.

Paul Whiteing

Administrator
Staff member
Ok, blatant plugging but (perk of "the job")

There's nothing pretentious about this, just please be aware it is NOT my living I just want others to enjoy fishing with a c'pin to the maximum.

2cpin13s_th.jpg

I have always built/modified my own rods as described within my article "Centrepins and using them, especially for Barbel fishing" and have been using my latest design for some 9 seasons (as have Neil Kirk and others for 6 or more seasons).

What's a "design"?. Well, it's a build really, but it was not just a case of "bunging" an extra ring on and calling it a special.

A while back Roger of Peregrine Rods agreed to manufacture these rods, and known as the "paul4 Barbel Rod", are available at a price of around £225.00 (incl VAT and (24 hr) delivery - but speak to me

Specification/words, which is on the Peregrine Rods website, is :

This rod is built on the GTi blank, which has a clever blend of fibres resulting in a rod with a very sensitive tip, yet with a reserve of power, coping with a huge variety of leads from a single swan-shot upwards, and more than capable of subduing the biggest Barbel. Also ideal for fishing tighter swims, coupled with a c'pin it is perfect for maintaining control of an angry Barbel while minimising the risk of a hook pull.

Basically the build of the rod is as specified by Paul (paul4), and is specifically designed for use with a centrepin. Paul built the original prototypes, in conjunction with Roger of Peregrine, and has been testing and using them for 4 years in all situations. Duplicate rods have also been tested by two other centrepin using barbel anglers for a couple of years.

The rod is finished in black, and has a full cork handle, carefully shaped at the top end for comfort, and a Wye Button. Rings are Seymo 247's and with an extra ring to aid one of the methods of casting. Fitted with a hook keeper, positioned 3" further up the blank than usual, so as to be out of the way when holding the rod for touch legering when bites are delicate.

The rod is supplied with the option of either a pair of neoprene/fabric tip & butt protectors, or a cloth bag.

The question is "will you catch more fish using one of these rods"? well, the answer is no (of course) but on the GTi blank it is a very light but powerful rod (someone remarked about this only last week, on the bank, whilst I was showing him casting methods), and the "design" (build) should make it very much more efficient and comfortable when using a c'pin.

The GTi might not be the current "flavour of the month" blank, but I am still (2012) convinced it's the best blank available for barbel fishing.

For more details see page on my web site here

thanks

paul4

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back