• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Barbel rivers in Sussex

Chris Griggs

Hi guys,

Will be moving to East Grinstead, Sussex in a few months.
Doesn't appear to be many barbel rivers close, but where would you suggest within an hours drive or so?

Thanks in advance.
Chris.

Thanks David.

Will definitely check the Ouse out. Seems like I would need to put a bit of time in there (of which I don't have great deal of, for fishing!).

Seems like the closest prolific river is going to be the Loddon? or indeed the Colne from where I currently live!

Last edited:
Thanks David.

Will definitely check the Ouse out. Seems like I would need to put a bit of time in there (of which I don't have great deal of, for fishing!).

Seems like the closest prolific river is going to be the Loddon? or indeed the Colne from where I currently live!
yes, you may have to travel, north to the lower colne, middle Thames or south to the stour and avon.
plenty of carp lakes in Sussex...lol:rolleyes:

There lot's of big perch waters in Sussex and you will also be within easy striking distance of Marsh Farm's crucians and plenty of big tench over in Kent. Then there's the Medway not far away, though I'm not sure what it's barbel fishing is like nowadays. You're close to the sea as well, with some very good bass and mullet fishing, etc.

Hi Chris,

Sussex barbel fishing is something of a challenge to say the least. The Ouse will be nearest to you but they are few and far between and the same few swims get hammered to death. The Arun holds some good fish but people go from season to season without catching one. Same with the Rother!

If you haven't the time to put in, the Kennet is probably your best shout as has already been mentioned. i live in Brighton and generally fish the Hampshire Avon 'cos it's easier!!

Regards,

Jeff

Chris,

You have a PM

Regards

Bill

Sussex barbel fishing is something of a challenge to say the least. The Ouse will be nearest to you but they are few and far between and the same few swims get hammered to death.

The Medway at Ashurst is only about 8 miles from East Grinstead and Penshurst is a couple of miles further. There are also tiny pockets of barbel even nearer to East Grinstead - or at least there were when I lived in Hartfield.

The Medway at Ashurst is only about 8 miles from East Grinstead and Penshurst is a couple of miles further. There are also tiny pockets of barbel even nearer to East Grinstead - or at least there were when I lived in Hartfield.

Nigel,

Barbel near Hartfield. You might say that but I could not possibly comment.

Down the Hatch?

Regards

Hugo

With hindsight I spent far too much time chasing those elusive few fish. Time that would have been far more productively spent in the Hatch. :)

Apologies to all, not been online for a while! Been a bit pre occupied on the move.

Thanks for all the advice, there appears to be far more opportunity than I originally thought!

Hope to see some of you on the bank sometime!

Chris.

The Medway around Ashurst & Fordcombe has some excellent barbel fishing once you have got to know the river.

If you need more info feel free to pm me.

Chris.

You have PM

Regards

Bill

Back