• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

barbel on the pole

we used to do here on the middle severn in the on the odd occation after hitting the odd one whilst catching roach. the trouble was is that they were too far between. did have a bit of fun with them though.

Have had a bit of success on the river tame , quite a small river and in the right swim can be devastating, they dont even know they were being fished for, I cupped in 5 large cups in a bit of far bank slack water and had a fish while having a test run though with nothing on the hook, fair and square in the mouth, a couple of lads turned up and started lobbing feeders in and killed it stone dead, coincidence ?

Have had a bit of success on the river tame , quite a small river and in the right swim can be devastating, they dont even know they were being fished for, I cupped in 5 large cups in a bit of far bank slack water and had a fish while having a test run though with nothing on the hook, fair and square in the mouth, a couple of lads turned up and started lobbing feeders in and killed it stone dead, coincidence ?

There was an article in one of the maggies recently (I think it was Martin Bowlers brother) in which he used a pole to cup his leger rig out into his spot (usually nicely under a far bank tree/raft) He claimed he frequently had a bite immediately, whereas because the barbel had wised up, if he cast the rig, causing the unavoidable splosh, he wouldn't get a bite for hours :)

Cheers, Dave.

Does anyone remember Derek? He was always going on about lowering his rig in with a pole. I have actually used the same tactic myself while margin fishing for carp on a lake.

I used to do a lot of comercial match fishing and still slide the old pole out when needs must, i find playing fish on the pole to be easier than on rod n line. The constant pressure from the hydro elastic subdues the fish very quickly, as long as you use the the correct setup then the fish and your expensive pole will be safe!!:)

looks like a carp site now.we have all lowered bait in with a pole.i have used it with a baitdropper.dont need 'A' levels to do this.the barbel are much bigger now and i wouldn't
like to hook one in a fast severn run.the safety of the fish comes first .it is just my opinion
albert

looks like a carp site now.we have all lowered bait in with a pole.i have used it with a baitdropper.dont need 'A' levels to do this.the barbel are much bigger now and i wouldn't
like to hook one in a fast severn run.the safety of the fish comes first .it is just my opinion
albert

I know what you are saying Albert, but you and I are of an age whereby our judgements are clouded by memories. In recent years I have seen and been astounded by skilled pole anglers landing astonishingly large fish using this method, with seemingly little problem.

Poles, and the elastics and other parts that go with them are vastly improved now...Jason McAdam in the post above yours states that he has done a lot of pole fishing for hard fighting species, and now finds it easier to land fish on the pole than rod and line (whether or not he chooses to do so)....you have to respect the truth in that statement Albert...these young 'uns know far more about that skill than you or I :p

Best regards fella,

Dave G.

Last edited:
I still choose rod and line for Barbel:D
For me the pole is a great bit of kit on still waters and that is the place i intend on using it, large fish seem to be confused when hooked and they fight in a different way.
On running line the fish have an angle in which you are pulling from and they use this to there advantage but using a pole you are above them.........as long as they have not made off to the horizon before you get control:eek::eek:

Poles have there place in fishing but not in my barbell fishing unless i am cupping in my lead and freebies trying not to disturb the swim;)

Last edited:
i know what you are saying david and i respect that.maybe i do look back sometimes
and i hope these young uns will accept that.there are a lot of young anglers that i am proud to call my friends and good anglers to boot.
albert

i know what you are saying david and i respect that.maybe i do look back sometimes
and i hope these young uns will accept that.there are a lot of young anglers that i am proud to call my friends and good anglers to boot.
albert

Hi Albert,

Nothing wrong with looking back mate...and I know what you mean about the youngsters. I only fish now when the young lions I know are not looking :D:D

Mind you, back in the day..............:p

Best regards Albert,

Dave.

Back