• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Barbel on the move!

Interesting Shaun :)

As a local angler to you this is indeed of great interest, to think that big old girl that was living in Severn Stoke or similar and then was found to be in Cotheridge on the Teme is remarkable. And I can't help to be reminded of all the talk around Powick weir and it's removal and the disaster that would be to fishing and in particular Barbel in the Teme. Powick weir was 'partially' dismantled and it was a compromise, and I hope a happy one that sees these wonderful fish return to their rightful river to reproduce as the have done for many a year previous.
The work that you have put in is probably in my mind the most important study of Barbel I have witnessed in all the years I have been around. You would think all local anglers and even perhaps Angling clubs such as Birmingham AA would show an interest, I hope they do.

Brilliant stuff Shaun. Just shows how barbel can suddenly appear in new areas for no apparent reason. Be interesting to see how much this prolonged dry spell has affected spawning and location.
cheers

Paul

Hi Shaun,
Lovely read! I'm interested as I fish a small chalk stream and wonder where do they go. On our stretch we found they don't go far but are really spooked as its always low and clear. Even during winter months we can spot them still.

That was a nice bit of reading!
Having read a good number of scientific papers on the species it never ceases to amaze me just how far an individual fish can and will travel assuming habitat connectivity facilitates movement.

As a local angler to you this is indeed of great interest, to think that big old girl that was living in Severn Stoke or similar and then was found to be in Cotheridge on the Teme is remarkable. And I can't help to be reminded of all the talk around Powick weir and it's removal and the disaster that would be to fishing and in particular Barbel in the Teme. Powick weir was 'partially' dismantled and it was a compromise, and I hope a happy one that sees these wonderful fish return to their rightful river to reproduce as the have done for many a year previous.
The work that you have put in is probably in my mind the most important study of Barbel I have witnessed in all the years I have been around. You would think all local anglers and even perhaps Angling clubs such as Birmingham AA would show an interest, I hope they do.
Yes indeed Neil, one could catch a fish in the Teme quite far up in the summertime, and then catch the same fish miles downstream in the Severn later...Good luck for this season!

That was a nice bit of reading!
Having read a good number of scientific papers on the species it never ceases to amaze me just how far an individual fish can and will travel assuming habitat connectivity facilitates movement.
Thanks Alex. They will certainly use all habitat available to them at different times and as required..

Brilliant stuff Shaun. Just shows how barbel can suddenly appear in new areas for no apparent reason. Be interesting to see how much this prolonged dry spell has affected spawning and location.
cheers

Paul
Yes Paul, they can surprise us... let`s see where we find them this year!
Tight lines.

Hi Shaun,
Lovely read! I'm interested as I fish a small chalk stream and wonder where do they go. On our stretch we found they don't go far but are really spooked as its always low and clear. Even during winter months we can spot them still.
Thanks Mark, they are great to watch whatever time of the year, very enjoyable. Good luck this season.

Back