• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Barbel on the fly...

Graham Rawson

OK, so i know it's not an- "other species" but thought this the best place to post due to the approach, a couple of pictures from quite an encounter yesterday:D

Tiring.jpg

Boris.jpg

Timetogo.jpg

Cheers,

Graham

Well done, good fish for a small stream. Good fun on a fly rod, not many places I fish are suitable for the fly. On the contient quite a lot of anglers fish the fly for Barbel.
Saw an angler hook a Barbel on the Wharfe, never landed it but it was a monster....
atb, dave

fantastic! remember watching a chap on my local 'fly only' stretch (which i use to fish with pellets from the far bank) do battle with a near 9lber on a 3/4wt brook rod...and he managed to beat it without getting showered with shattered carbon fibre.
Took it on a gold head pheasant tail nymph (could have been a hare's ear)...he now also fishes for barbel 'properly'...it only takes one encounter to get hooked.
I would love to get one on the fly...now, how to tie up a luncheon meat pattern.

Superb Graham would I be right in thinking thats a fairly good size for the river? Also shame about the tail damage its becoming more common every year. All the same it must have been an invigorating experience.

Sorry for the late reply people, forgot i posted the pics here:eek:

The fish was taken on the Bristol avon, and the fly was this:

Heavyman.jpg

hydropsyche caddis lookylikee for all you entomologists out there;)

The rain is sure to scupper my plans to repeat the success but i'm sure you guys will be happier:D

Cheers,

Graham

Back