• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Barbel on a pin

Chris Jones

Tried it and finally done it, admittedly with a float rather than a leger. I'm pleased to have done it but it's not something I'll be looking to attempt again. I can appreciate the fantastic control of the pace of a stick float that a pin gives. Other than that, everything is negative in relation to a quality fixed spool reel. Casting is a pain, retrieval after a long trot is mind numbingly slow and control of a fish, while very direct, is far too vague and inconsistent for my liking. Probably took me twice as long to get a fish in as it did with my fixed spool reel.

Last edited:
How dare you say that Chris, that is so un PC. Hope you threw in your floppy hat in as well?

How dare you say that Chris, that is so un PC. Hope you threw in your floppy hat in as well?

I've never been able to find one that I liked. I much prefer a baseball cap. Maybe this is why I'm not fussed with the pin.;)

I remember with some amusement the response to a post of mine on the old BFW (where men were men and funsters like Boote had to be careful) about a day out with the pin (a 1915 Allcock Aerial, no less), with the day going reasonably well at first, then very badly "...so I stamped it into the ground"... Cue coronaries and outrage from New Wave Pin Men and Collectors.

caught 1 on the pin a few years ago,and really didnt enjoy it much. was only a small 1 too,had another pin caught 1 couple of weeks ago and must say i am begining to warm to the idea.

i supose centrepin casting ,isn't for everyone

centre-pincastingposter.jpg

yep ,barbelling on a pin isn't exactly crank & bank. at least now you can cross the experiance off your bucket list

yep ,barbelling on a pin isn't exactly crank & bank. at least now you can cross the experiance off your bucket list

That's the spirit, Steven. Exactly how I've looked at it. I may try it again someday but it'll have to be in a more suitable swim where I can plop a float in at my feet and expect a bite no further downstream than fifteen yards. Until then, it's a case of each to there own. Good luck to the centrepin fanatics out there.

I must say I don't think it takes me any longer to land a fish on a pin than a fixed spool, but I do know I have more control.

Yes it can be a pain retrieving the tackle, but again I think I can "batt" a pin back quite quickly.

Casting can take time to master but it is a bit like using a clutch on a car for the first time once you get it, it becomes some thing you do without a thought.

Where I do win is in the amount of control I have on my float as it trots down the swim, I could not possibly control the tackle with a fixed spool in the same way, the only time the fixed spool wins there, is when it is blowing a hoolie and even then I will persevere with a pin on the stick, or even a waggler until I have no choice.

Fixed spool reels are probably fine for ledgering, but then again everyone can do that!

I am NOT one of those anglers that insists on using a Centre Pin because it is traditional or even because it has become fashionable, I use one because it is the best tool for controlling float tackle, free lining or rolling baits by far, when some smart ars……..person invents a fixed spool reel that can control gear the way a pin does I will put all mine up on flea bay in an instant, but until then………………………….!

Tight lines chaps.

Back