• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Barbel location

Anthony Pearson

It is common knowledge that barbel tend to stay close to their spawning grounds at this time of year. Has anyone any experience of whether the fish can be found upstream of these or do they drop slightly downstream? Yes I know they could go either way but maybe they have a preference and maybe someone has noticed what it is.

I'd hazard a guess that they look for deeper water, whether that maybe up or down, just my opinion.

As mentioned there's too many factors: if their spawning ground is 100 yards below a weir but there's 5 miles of river downstream for instance that could get the old grey matter going. On my local rivers it doesn't seem to make any difference, upstream or down they still cover miles of water in a very short space of time. My first fish last season, a week in to the season, was caught almost a mile downstream of where my friend caught it 30 hours earlier. The only predictable thing about barbel is that they're unpredictable :)

Back