• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Barbel legends

There's only one fishing legend that i would love to fish with, the man that started me off on my passion.............
MY DAD.........no longer with us.
Brian.

THE Barbel God - Dick Dowling.
He could catch a barbel out of a sweaty sock. :D

What one question would I ask him? Dunno, but I'd have to ask him a few times 'cos I guess he must be deaf as a post now. :(
(Do you keep in touch Graham?)

Mike - and don't forget the sloe gin. yummmmmmm

Dick Dowing certainly is a BG Dave.

Yes unfortunatly stone deaf now so he prefers to fish alone. Guess still on windsor RC? He kept in touch with Guy Robb for a bit. But not being able to talk on the phone a real handicap for sure. A great angler who i was fortunate to spend many years on the rivers with.

Celebrity Angler

Bob James and I'd ask him directions to the Last Chance Saloon - it's been a while since I had a drink there.

Trefor West. What's your favourite joke or funniest story. You just know it'll be a good one.

Nick C

Dr Nick Peat

"Can I see your permit?"

Could equally have been Pete Cranstoun.

Dennis Pye.
Show me where to catch a Norfolk donkey Dennis?
I’ll be on the north broad in my Dennis Pye hat on the 21st of next month hoping he hears me and shows me the swim.
If not Eddie Turner, Can you string a sentence together without swearing Eddie?
There are some rum characters in pike angling!

My local haunt (Yorkshire Derwent) is a low stock water, with many areas difficult to access. When my seasons are such that I am campaigning hard on the river, and struggling, my mind always returns to the pioneering work Roger Baker did on the Great Ouse.

My local haunt (Yorkshire Derwent) is a low stock water, with many areas difficult to access. When my seasons are such that I am campaigning hard on the river, and struggling, my mind always returns to the pioneering work Roger Baker did on the Great Ouse.

Thinking back to my youth i remember Jon Wolfe's Yorkshire Derwent river record pictured in the Yorkshire Evening Press 1989 and i think that was the moment that made me a barbel angler - many years passed before i got hold of one that size but i got there eventually. If we met i don't think i would ask him anything - it's not the done thing is it? "Where did you catch that from mate? What bait?" But i would pass on my thanks for the inspiration.

thats a good answer andy, respect to him and your self,

If you met Wolfie, you'd spend the first hour listening to his politically incorrect jokes ! lol
As I said earlier, many of the good anglers go about their business in their own quiet way !
JW is a legend ! Top bloke and a great angler to boot !!!

I've been lucky in as much as over the years I managed to meet all my childhood angling heroes such as Fred J Taylor and Peter Stone. Dick Walker left the planet before our paths could cross. I'm not sure that I have a single question I would have liked to ask him. I'd certainly like to thank him for the inspiration he was to me and many others of my generation.

Back