• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Barbel legends

Lawrence Breakspear ;)

Whats up with the Villa :(
Or Steve Willaims at least i would not have to be from the club in the midlands .HAHA.
Paul

Last edited:
Mike Wilson.

Where the blazes are you?

Mr Griz, You are a naughty boy!:eek::D:D:D

Last edited:
I've always been disappointed by the 'legends' I've met and fished with.
When you scratch the surface of many of today's celebs and get behind the salesman's smile you will find they are bumptious, vacuous, parasitic, gas bags standing on the shoulders of giants.
The only one I can really say was grounded was Trefor West, there is a bloke who has put the hours in on the bank and is well worth listening to; but even with Tref you have to keep your wallet in your pocket as he knows all the tricks to part you from your cash. The difference is you won't feel as though you have been mugged.
I could fill a book with questions to ask Tref but if I repeated them on here I would end up in court, put it this way, anything you want to know about specimen angling and the major players for the last 55 years Tref knows, and he knows where all the bodies are buried.

Last edited:
Got the chance to fish with one of my heros a few times before he past away and am mates with a another angler who I look up to as a youth. But steve williams not that far behind

My Dear Graham

Today, with all this damn snow falling now, its white camo as I'm hiding from Captain Birdseye formerly knowns as Lord Centerpin Speers of St Albans.
I trust you and your good lady are keeping well.

Mike

Stef Horak :- Do you ever smile ? lol
Mick Wood is the most grounded 'successful' angler I have ever met !
There are some VERY good anglers who don't seek 'Fame' as such ! Most of these have no ego or attitude at all and go about their business in their own manner without fuss ! They are the ones I look up to and most I've met are willing to impart some advice or encouragement without seeking anything in return !

There are some VERY good anglers who don't seek 'Fame' as such ! Most of these have no ego or attitude at all and go about their business in their own manner without fuss ! They are the ones I look up to and most I've met are willing to impart some advice or encouragement without seeking anything in return !

I can't argue with that, my old fishing partner had forgotten more about catching barbel than many of today's 'stars' but other than a handful of match-men who are left from the open circuit in the 70s he was unknown.
He was however always turning up with some 'newbee' when we were off for a day out and got loads of people into barbel angling never asking a penny in return.

David,
Peter Stone was one of the giants I was talking about, it annoys me when I see some claiming fame by association with the likes of him.

Never fished with Peter Stone but would have liked to, met him several times, what a nice bloke!

However, I was lucky enough to fish with my childhood hero, two or three times.

I used to work as Saturday boy in Chubbs of Edgeware, my boss Fred Buller (another hero I fished with) had a deal going with a chemist from Hitchin (Arnold Neave) and Dick Walker, together they made, marketed and sold a dry fly floatant named "Permaflote", the other lad who worked there Keith Sellick (who later became awell known Carp angler) and I were the ones who bottled the Permaflote and labelled it, we did this mostly after school and when the shop was quiet.
I remember we had an order for 7,000 bottles for Norway, Dick who would pop into the shop on occasion told Keith and I that if we got the lot done by friday he would take us fishing on the Sunday, to his section of the Upper Great Ouse!!

We caught................nothing, but Dick did make us breakfast in his hut and we had a great day!!

I also remember asking Dick how I should go about catching the Tench at Stanmore Ponds, he gave me some advice and a week or so later when in the shop asked how I had done, Fred told him that I was fishing at Stanmore that very day, so Dick drove there and found me.
When he arrived he suggested that I try Caddis grubs,:-

"Where will I get them, I asked?"

"In the shallow water by the bank" said Dick and took he suit jacket off, hung it in a tree, rolled up his shirt sleeves and proceeded to show me how to collect them!

We caught several Roach and two Tench.

I know a lot of people did not like Dick for a number of reasons, but one can only speak as they find, for me Dick was a gentleman, wonderful company, great conversationalist and a thoroughly good egg, the fact that he took time out to help a snotty little urchin, when he did not have to, speaks volumes about the man!

AND he could fish a bit too!

I have also fished with Mike Wilson, he's not all he is cracked up to be, ok he DOES lasso the odd big kipper, but I had to type out and laminate the recipe for TEA and leave it in his bag!
How he managed to fish Savay with no Tea for all those years is beyond me.

Can’t imagine that he skanked it from another angler?

Can you?

Tight lines

Last edited:
Stanmore Ponds. ( or Spring ponds) We have more in common than you think Keith. Fished em in 1962 to 65 !

Great memories K.

Hi Mike. All great thanks for asking. Now get the cha on!

Last edited:
Got to be Dick Walker. As a kid I remember having the Angling Times delivered along with my parents daily newspaper and Dick's weekly column was always what I turned to first.

Sad that he died at a relatively young age as he had so much more to give to the sport.

Keith

As you and Stroller know if its warm its a Rioja , if its cold its a Chardonnay and there is always a hip flask with a single malt, to disinfect cuts you understand, or if the temperature gets below -6.
Only need a corkscrew not a kettle.
Take care

Mike

Back