• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Barbel in or near fordingbridge

Tony Stone

We are off down to the new forest next week for 5 days, I plan to sneak my korum opportunist 2lb rod in with a few bits in a small bag.

I'm Looking for areas on a day ticket that I might be able to drop in on for a couple of hours, if anyone knows of anywhere that might offer me a decent chance of a barbel or any size it would be appreciated. I have only ever fished at the Royalty fishery on the Avon before so the rest of the river is new to me.

I am staying in Fordingbridge just up the road from the bridge where the kids park is and everyone paddles.

By hell Tony you dont half get round a bit.You last posted from North Wales.I believe you can buy a day ticket to actually fish the park length.Googled it the other day because Im down there in September.Good luck and let us know how you go on.Regards.Adrian

By hell Tony you dont half get round a bit.You last posted from North Wales.I believe you can buy a day ticket to actually fish the park length.Googled it the other day because Im down there in September.Good luck and let us know how you go on.Regards.Adrian

I do indeed mate, august is normally road trip month!!
Plus I bought a VW campervan so 😍

Will let you know of course 👍

Tony,

Day ticket stretches of the Avon are a bit thin on the ground. There is the LAA water @ Britford - there are barbel in there but not in great numbers. Alternatively, Christchurch offer a week holiday ticket, which gives access to all their waters - full details on their website Christchurch AC

Hope you manage to find somewhere.

Dave

I don't think you can get day tickets at Britford anymore....unless its changed back.

I would fish for roach and chub from just below the side stream comes in on the far bank with the float rod.

Or get a Throop day ticket

I'm told the Fordingbridge park stretch is nice. I think there's a YouTube video of it.

It’s certainly nice, I have walked it before just never fished it.

Seen some nice chub there and a few small pike but no barbel.

Maybe I’ll just give it a go there as it’s the closest bit to where I’m staying anyway 👍

I don't think you can get day tickets at Britford anymore....unless its changed back.

I would fish for roach and chub from just below the side stream comes in on the far bank with the float rod.

Or get a Throop day ticket

Just looking at the Throop ticket now actually, that might be worth a go on another day when I don’t have the family in tow and more time on my hands.

Just looking at the Throop ticket now actually, that might be worth a go on another day when I don’t have the family in tow and more time on my hands.
Have been holidaying in Hampshire/Dorset for more years than I can remember.Have fished both the Royalty and Throop.Had larger numbers of barbel from the Royalty but bigger barbel and chub from Throop including my barbel PB.Its hard but rewarding.However reading recent posts rain needed! It's sad when you are wanting it to rain while on holiday.Good luck.

It’s certainly nice, I have walked it before just never fished it.

Seen some nice chub there and a few small pike but no barbel.

Maybe I’ll just give it a go there as it’s the closest bit to where I’m staying anyway 👍
Tony, I don't wish to ruin your holiday before it's begun but I would be highly surprised if you had a barbel from Fordingbride Park. Better off targeting the roach and chub.

Lovely stretch of water though.

Hi Tony ,

As a local just a word of warning regards to the Fordingbridge park stretch this time of year if its warm. Literally hundreds of people on the bank, in the water swimming , paddleboarding and kayaking etc . It may test your patience
Regards Neil

Hi Tony ,

As a local just a word of warning regards to the Fordingbridge park stretch this time of year if its warm. Literally hundreds of people on the bank, in the water swimming , paddleboarding and kayaking etc . It may test your patience
Regards Neil
Last week there were hundreds of people in the river in the stretch of the park opposite The George. At least 200 people in the water at any one time.

Popped into The George for a pint and looked up from the table we were sat in to see a young kid handlining a 4lb chub up the wall and into the riverside terrace in the pub. The fish was obviously well used to being fed by pub customers, it started flapping around and nearly landed on the table of two ladies who looked thoroughly appalled. A completely bizarre situation!

What about Sandy Balls Holiday Park near Godshill ? I‘ve not fished there for a number of years ‘cos heart attack hill is now a real struggle for me ( late onset asthmatic) but I used to fish it on a day ticket bought from the site office.

What about Sandy Balls Holiday Park near Godshill ? I‘ve not fished there for a number of years ‘cos heart attack hill is now a real struggle for me ( late onset asthmatic) but I used to fish it on a day ticket bought from the site office.
Not the easiest place to fish at the moment with the river so low and the weed growth so prolific.

Lots of swims looking like this at the moment:

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220809-205002_WhatsApp.jpg
    Screenshot_20220809-205002_WhatsApp.jpg
    75.2 KB · Views: 207
  • Screenshot_20220809-204908_WhatsApp.jpg
    Screenshot_20220809-204908_WhatsApp.jpg
    43.1 KB · Views: 216
Tony, Sandy Balls is private, you can get day tickets for Fordingbridge park from the kiosk on the park . Day tickets for Throop at Ringwood tackle or online on Ringwood angling club website. If you want any info send me a pm.

Back