• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Barbel in a keepnet?

i seen this a few months ago and if you scroll down you,ll see my comment has been removed (kellou82) i only wrote "any self respecting angler knows barbel have no place in a keepnet" it was originally flagged as spam, now its just been removed
tight lines
jerry

So whats new? this happens in match fishing, thousands of times over, every weekend throughout the country. It's what they do in match fishing...they catch fish, they put them in their net. Sadly, in many rivers (and still waters:rolleyes:) barbel are the main target.

I am not saying it's right, but it has happened for as long as men have fished matches in rivers containing barbel, and you aint about to stop it any time soon. Sad but true :(

Cheers, Dave.

Last edited:
Bob Nudd does it on the telly, and thousands of other matchmen every week.
:mad: They see nothing wrong in it, and regard it as much a right to do it as with any other fish.
It suprises me Andreas that you seem suprised to see it.

they are better rested in a keepnet rather than being slung back in.i am speaking as a pleasure angler now.i do not condone being dropped from 3ft as in matches.in the 70s i had 2 long nets staked out and rested them till they recovered.it is what i was taught to do.we knew little about them then other that they were strong fish.the landing net does the same job for me now and i have not used a keepnet for as long as i can remember.if the fish is distressed
hold it in the landing net till it is well.simple
albert

Hi Ian, it does surprise me to be honest, because...

1/ It's the first time I've come across this...ever (I don't have much time to watch You Tube and the likes of. I wish I did)

2/ He literally 'throws' the Barbel into the keepnet.

3/ I've always been taught to return any fish as quickly as possible to the water and hold it in the water until I'm confident enough it's recovered enough to get back to it's previous state (even more so Barbel). That Barbel just gave all it can in the fight and no doubt once he luzzed it back in the net it probably semi-floated sideways)

I'm sure this is a debatable topic for many fisherman and I have thought to myself for minute that maybe I'm being picky...(before and after posting here) but I don't think I am?

My club has banned barbel from keepents in pleasure sessions which is a big thumbs up for them!

The only solution for matches is to ban barbel. The massive downside of that is when an angler hooks one then, as they wouldn`t count, they`d hold for a break with the consequence that there would be a load of fish swimming round with hooks and trailing line.

As much as I dislike barbel in keepnets I do think its the lesser of two evils.

I'm slightly uneasy that people get so upset by barbel in a keep net but sod any other species. I suppose it is a barbel dedicated site. Shame that many are so one track though. To my mind the species concerned doesn't come in to it and some folks are a little too black and white when it comes to keep nets. Personally, they can be a necessary evil which we aren't going to see the back of in a hurry. However, irresponsible use of keepnets is the problem, not the keepnet in itself. Blaming an inanimate object in this way smacks of the gun control hysteria. "Guns are evil, they kill". No they don't, people do.

Well said Chris, my view is Keep nets only for Matches. I really cant see the point for anything else.

Jon

Well said Chris, my view is Keep nets only for Matches. I really cant see the point for anything else.

Jon
If one is concerned that keepnets can potentially harm the fish, then surely it matters not whether it is for match or pleasure angling...they should not be used full stop...I cannot see how, morally, one can argue for match use but ban pleasure anglers from using them.:(

Last edited:
If one is concerned that keepnets can potentially harm the fish, then surely it matters not whether it is for match or pleasure angling...they should not be used full stop...I cannot see how, morally, one can argue for match use but ban pleasure anglers from using them.:(

Matches, at least normal matches, can't exist without keepnets. Pleasure angling can. Keepnets are a necessary evil and their impact is minimized by proper use. They most certainly do have an impact so their use should be minimized.

Morals shouldn't really come into it and aren't quite so black and white anyway when faced with necessity in real life. Though shalt not kill, except if it's politically expedient to do so because we deemed you mad, bad, dangerous etc.
Morally, it would be wrong to kill a chicken just for the hell of it. No dramas if you are going to eat it. Just because most of us get it in a plastic tray and didn't do the actual killing doesn't change much.

Matches, at least normal matches, can't exist without keepnets. Pleasure angling can. Keepnets are a necessary evil and their impact is minimized by proper use. They most certainly do have an impact so their use should be minimized.

Morals shouldn't really come into it and aren't quite so black and white anyway when faced with necessity in real life. Though shalt not kill, except if it's politically expedient to do so because we deemed you mad, bad, dangerous etc.
Morally, it would be wrong to kill a chicken just for the hell of it. No dramas if you are going to eat it. Just because most of us get it in a plastic tray and didn't do the actual killing doesn't change much.
Chris... surely the causing distress/accidental death to fish holds true for keepnets in match fishing too?
Personally I don't match fish, neither do I use a keepnet for pleasure angling.
The arguments about keepnets usage on the forum, to me , often takes a moralistic viewpoint.
All I am pointing out is the apparent double standard adopted by some proponents of keepnet use for match fishing...
My standpoint is that if one uses them for matches, then one has NO argument for banning their use in the pleasure side of the sport.

Just playing devil's advocate here, as I am a bit bored at work, and want to be on the riverbank!!!!:)

Chris... surely the causing distress/accidental death to fish holds true for keepnets in match fishing too?

Of course they do, which is why a responsible match angler will surely do all they can to minimize such distress, injury or accidental death within the constraints of the necessity of using the keepnet in the first place. I'm no match angler either, by the way.;)
I just believe that getting too moralistic about it puts us on a sticky wicket. After all we stick hooks in fish deliberately and with little reason other than our pleasure, most of us have no intention of taking what we catch, there's no necessity to do what we do. There are plenty out there that will deem this to be morally wrong.

I just believe that getting too moralistic about it puts us on a sticky wicket. After all we stick hooks in fish deliberately and with little reason other than our pleasure, most of us have no intention of taking what we catch, there's no necessity to do what we do. There are plenty out there that will deem this to be morally wrong.

Couldn't agree more

Back