• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Barbel float Rod difference Diawa

In that situation I would use a shorter more powerful rod, for e.g. maybe a rod like the 10ft 2 1/4 test nash scope I have and fish a reliable and robust mono such as 8lb sensor direct to a 10s or even an 8s superspade hook. I would use the larger than normal hook size simply to lessen the chance of it pulling out of the fish because I wouldn't give the fish an inch of line off my reel. The only leeway the fish would get from me would be the bend of the rod and stretch in the line.
I have fished hit and hold spots many times and used that exact set up. Up to now I think the biggest fish i've had fishing in those situations has been just shy of 12lb, so no monsters, but i'm confident the set up would easily subdue any barbel in uk waters.
I always try to keep my rod tip upwards to unbalance the fish and make it work against the flow as well as my tackle.
The concept definitely works yes.
Strong strong rod and strong line.
Exactly how we extract them on ledger gear.
You could step to a 1.75 comfortably if you want.

The problem is the depth. You’d have to use a slider float with a 10 foot rod because you won’t cast 8.5ft of float rig other wise.

The problem is the depth. You’d have to use a slider float with a 10 foot rod because you won’t cast 8.5ft of float rig other wise.

i can manage to cast virtually the depth of my 10ft scope rod if needed Richard. Obviously not a long distance but deffo adequate enough for smallish rivers.

I use an inline slider float with short rods. And I’d avoid long trotting in such situation, and get as close to the spot as possible

It’s not a long cast Ian. 2 rod lengths maybe a bit more on wider sections

Ok, that would be easy enough to reach fishing 8 or 9ft of depth using a ten foot rod Rich.
The 10ft rod i'm thinking about is a 2.25lb test scope, the action isn't fierce but it will slow down and tire a fish out nicely. Another couple of rods I like to use in those kind of scenarios is the 11ft hardy avon, and if a little more power is needed the 11ft 6inch hardy avon. I have a 11ft greys lure rod and a 9ft daiwa amorphous salmon spin which i'm sure would be ideal also.

Assuming you already know the depth and set the float correctly, an alternative method is to tie the hook just under the float with a pva string, but this method works better for still water than trotting.

Ok, that would be easy enough to reach fishing 8 or 9ft of depth using a ten foot rod Rich.
The 10ft rod i'm thinking about is a 2.25lb test scope, the action isn't fierce but it will slow down and tire a fish out nicely. Another couple of rods I like to use in those kind of scenarios is the 11ft hardy avon, and if a little more power is needed the 11ft 6inch hardy avon. I have a 11ft greys lure rod and a 9ft daiwa amorphous salmon spin which i'm sure would be ideal also.
Yes short avons would also offer the leverage and strength required I’m sure I have afew rods like this.
It’s something I might try for a very large fish but certainly something I’m probably not going to enjoy that much.

I like trotting with long float rods and in the most part get away with it.
Your right though for the sake of fish welfare knowing what is in it and is possible to hook a more suitable set up would be required.
I might look around for something like Chris’s free spirit 2 piece as a compromise or maybe a proper carp waggler designed for locking up against 15-20lb fish would be more enjoyable.
Sure they are a bit heavier but they’re got the extra guts that my most powerful float rod hasn’t and they are still (to a degree) float rods.
Something at 13ft would be a nice compromise

Back