• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Barbel float Rod difference Diawa

Graham Elliott

Senior Member & Supporter
Reading up on the Diawa Connoisseur Pro rod for barbel on here noted it was the W version ( Waggler) rather than the P (Power) one.

Has anyone given the P version 14 or 15ft a good dabble and has a view.

Price around £155 looks good compared with the Acolyte Specimen. Never really liked the Plus

I might have missed it.

Reading up on the Diawa Connoisseur Pro rod for barbel on here noted it was the W version ( Waggler) rather than the P (Power) one.

Has anyone given the P version 14 or 15ft a good dabble and has a view.

Price around £155 looks good compared with the Acolyte Specimen. Never really liked the Plus

I might have missed it.
In the early release days of the new connoisseur I remember seeing these 2 options and wondered what the difference was. However since then I’ve never seen or heard of anyone obtaining the p model. I’m reluctant to believe it even exists

There was some distributors that advertised it and some that just offered the full range in the W model and I often wondered (happens frequently) if there was some confusion or if diawa dropped the p quickly after launching.

If there is the two models available I can only assume the action to be slightly different between them as they hold the same line ratings
I’d be interested to hear if anyone has managed to get the p version.

Going by previous connys, spectons etc the W version was more a medium action to cover a vast wide variety of fishing and the p and xp was quite tippy. Medium/fast I’d say and better for trotting generally but still very good at other stuff.

Is this it here? I've been thinking about this myself.

1723121800141.png

I have a Daiwa connoisseur 15 foot power float (current model) use it for trotting and tench fishing its a decent rod I,ve not had any barbel on it yet, have had chub to 5lb and tench to 6lb on it with no problems at all ...it feels good in the hand and light enough to hold all day

I have a Daiwa connoisseur 15 foot power float (current model) use it for trotting and tench fishing its a decent rod I,ve not had any barbel on it yet, have had chub to 5lb and tench to 6lb on it with no problems at all ...it feels good in the hand and light enough to hold all day
Pete. Could it handle a DF barbel do you think?

On daiwa website, it suggest both version have same line rating 2-8lb (same as the hardy marksman 14ft), but the power float has higher casting weight and slightly heavier. So I assume the power version may have a stronger middle section than waggler version.

I've got a Daiwa Connoisseur Pro 14' power float rod, Graham. Only used it once, so can't give you an in depth review, and as I've got nothing else to compare it to, it's only my opinion on the rod. I've teamed it up with a Daiwa 4012 TDR reel, loaded with 9lb Berkeley XT line. Seems to balance well in my hands.

I Used it at Ladypit on the Trent, trotting a 4-5g floats, fishing pellet on the hook. I caught three Barbel up to about 6-7lb, and four Chub. Lost a couple as I wasn't used to the set up and un sure of how much I could push it. The ones I did land, it handled well. Stood up all day, and it performed well in the hand. Not sloppy and quite "tippy" for a powerful rod. The next trip will be better, as I can give the rod some welly and really gauge it's power.

It's a nice rod, I'm not a big fan of Daiwa's armlock handle, but the reel seat is good. The rings are ok. I feel they are a little on the light side near the tip for a power rod, but they work ok. I paid £148 for mine, with a deal off eBay. I couldn't justify paying big money for another manufactures rod, and as I like Daiwa's tackle, I bought the Connoisseur. It'll do for what I want.

Yes. Where I've been looking as well as ebay.
More toward the 14ft for Throop/HA chub with a chance of a barbel.
My mate had a 13lb 1oz barbel at throop trotting for chub using his 17ft acolyte which is no where near as powerful as either of those connys.
I think you’ll have no trouble with the p or w graham.
As you know it’s down to the man in the driving seat and balance of the tackle as much as anything else.

I'm pretty sure I've got a 14' Spectron XP at home GE.
Not being used so I'll let it go if you're interested?

Steve
@Graham Elliott i would snap this up quick if I was you. It’s about as good as it gets regarding 14ft power rods. I had one and doubles are a breeze on it yet it’s tippy enough to have some degree of finesse with small fish.

Back