• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Barbel Fishing

Chris Chadwick

Hi I am a new member, i have been fishing the Trent overnight at Collingham. Please can anyone advise any other good rivers for night fishing with a bivvie.

Thanks

Welcome Chris - bivvy fishing rivers; in my opinion to make it more worthwhile it'll need to be a bigger water. The Severn & Thames as an alternative. The Trent mind has a massive amount of water & has kept me more than busy for the last 7 years. Not many stretches left but plenty more scope & never stopping learning

I started my barbel apprenticeship on the middle upstream, in & downstream of Nottingham. Not fished the upper. It has some cracking water & a lot of fish too.

This year, the tidal thread on this forum has had a lot more attention. Conventionally, the Middle has had more reports in all the previous years to now. For instance, there are quite a few regular posters that fish the tidal now having fished the middle to saturation; whereas in previous years, myself included, we placed all our posts on the middle.

The middle has some beautiful stretches & this time of year if one gets away from the weirs, there is some very special more productive fishing to be had - plenty of peace & quiet with acres of litter free space, where you might not see a soul!

I use the middle trent as a confidence booster or to take friends who are not so keen on the tides nor the precarious banksides. The swims are positively armchair like in comparison & more bivvy friendly. Tactics are the same & prime time is dusk, evening & dawn. Just look at the wealth of advice that being placed on the BFW fish in this weekend just upstream of Fiskerton on tactics etc.

https://barbel.co.uk/site/vbulletin/forum/showthread.php?t=1849

Cheers, Jon

PS Have a look at the old site http://barbelfishingworld.yuku.com/directory

& look at the present river threads, mind there is not much posted on the middle presently - even tho there are a lot more people here fishing it & not posting (advertising to some) the merits of this beautiful (big) bit of river

In addition, if you have any specific question regarding a river, probably best to post it on the specific thread than on this main board - you'll probably get a better response.

However, some areas do not allow night fishing & best to check that one might need membership in certain stretches.

Cheers, Jon

Back